So The water.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dry suit is standard DIR gear configuration, I think. Maybe that is why you are diving with a dry suit, Tim? Or are you really that cold?

actually has nothing to do with DIR (DIR philosophy would be the right gear for the conditions) - I'm just tired of shivering and getting ready for some 2hr+ dives that I don't want to be cold on, plus this way I can dive anywhere I may travel and not have to get used to new gear.

Just finished my third dive in it and I'm liking it more each dive - it's a trade off, in some ways more comfortable and in other ways more cumbersome... overall I think I'm going to grow to like it.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Water temp yesterday was 81*, today it was 79* on my gauge.

So are you just using a bathing suit and t-shirt as undergarments now Tim?

ouch - that would be painful Al... Actually I've been using a pair of Expedition weight long underwear I have - it's about perfect. Spent nearly 3 hours in the water yesterday with it on 2 dives and was very comfortable.

Aloha, Tim

I suppose that is about right with a shell suit. With my 4 mil crushed I really can't dive in waters over 66 degrees or I sweat. So I won't be bringing it to Maui when we move.

yeah - it would get pretty hot in a neoprene suit over here. A friend I was diving with yesterday saw my new suit and started considering getting one himself, but he's leaning toward a neoprene - Personally I'd roast in one over here.

I guess that it makes sense if you get cold.

I dove dry suit exclusively in PNW and a couple of dives in San Diego. I got cold after awhile in PNW waters, but the water in San Diego was too warm for my shell dry suit (just sweat cloths under). In PNW I wore long underwear & woolly bear undergarment and still got cold.

Here I would absolutely EXPIRE before I got in the water, and sweat once I was in the water in a dry suit. I guess if I were in the water 90 minutes a dive, I may get a bit chilled, but I'm pretty sure a wet suit would suffice.

So, yes, you need to use the correct exposure for the conditions. And the same conditions affect people differently.

So you probably noticed that there is quite a bit more drag in a shell suit vs a wet suit, huh? At least I did. But I still dive as if I have one on, turning to the side to "vent" out the sleeve. It's a habit I don't think I'll ever break.

The drag is why I ended up going neopreme. But I have a feeling I'd roast on maui with it so I'll sell that baby when the time comes to move.

Back
Top Bottom