So much for financial plans... I'm a Halcyon owner!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been focusing on improving my diving and seeing what I might otherwise be missing. More time spent observing, less time spent looking through a tiny viewfinder.

I miss A LOT when I'm filming. Between keeping track of buddies and what's in the viewfinder, I often find myself shrugging during the post-dive conversations. "Did you see that huge cab? What about those enormous molas that were just inside the range of visibility? Notice that sea lion shoot by??" Darn, I must have been filming this really exciting bat star or something!

I am jonesing for a new x-scooter. I saw the video from backscatter where they strapped a camera to one. I'd like doubles too, but then I have to get a new wing etc. It never ends.

Backscatter's original rig may have been strapped to the scooter,
but the current incarnation uses the dome port for the X-scooter
nose cone and the camera is just in front of the batteries.

This is exactly why I have been taking my camera rig out on only 30% of my dives lately. It's just really nice to relax and cruise the reefs without something to be doing all the time. OTOH, it's really nice to have pics.

Backscatter's original rig may have been strapped to the scooter,
but the current incarnation uses the dome port for the X-scooter
nose cone and the camera is just in front of the batteries.

yeah, I saw the prototype a month or so ago. It looks very nice.-- and probably expensive.

more things to carry.

Added failure points, shoulder and back padding?

What will Halcyon think up next?

Have you seen the product?
This is optional and not subject to failure as
other mechanical or electrical equipment.
You got any beef against Halcyon?

Added failure points, shoulder and back padding?

What will Halcyon think up next?

The padding is very easily removed (and is sold separately in the case of upgrades). I have to say though that they did a very admirable job of keeping it minimally obtrusive - this is definitely NOT a conventional padded BC. The back-pad incorporates their storage-pack design, and is fairly firm - it's nowhere close to the "wrap me in fur-covered pillows" feeling you get from a lot of the rec. BCs, and is a modest but welcome improvement (for me) to the bare plate.

As for additional failure points, I really can't agree with you beyond the theoretical level. The design of the unit is such that it's still a continuous webbing harness - no additional buckles have been added. The plate is still the hub for rigid attachments. I would argue that if you trust any of the bolts attached to your current plate, the cinch plate adds essentially no new measurable risk.

I'm not a Halcyon apologist by any means (I'm a very new owner), but here's how I see it...

• Even with the cinch plate installed, there are still exponentially less failure points per square-inch than a conventional recreational BC.
  • With the cinch plate installed, the harness is actually several times easier to don/doff when compared to my Scubapro Knighthawk. I get the stability of the BP/W/harness setup, and none of the hassles associated with getting in and out of them.
  • If I ever decide to ditch the cinch and go with a fixed harness, all I need is a screwdriver, a $12 webbing kit, and a few tri-glides. I've still got a standard Halcyon SS plate with an Eclipse wing.

Honestly, it seemed a bit gimmicky to me at first when I read about it online. Once I sat down with a unit and got some hands-on time with it, I was sold. I think that as more people have a chance to try it out they'll see that it's just a really clever way for Halcyon to make the BP/W a bit more convenient/approachable without significantly compromising the rig's performance.

I keep my straps fairly tight and without something to grab onto other than the strap I.E. my backup light and can light or long hose clipped off, I could barely get my rig off. This is something those that want a BP/W yet maybe find donning and doffing an issue, will be able to utilize a BP/W now without a major failure point. I would like to try one just to see what it is all about.

Now the padded webbing straps? Come on guys...don't go down that road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom