So many Dive OPS on Oahu- How do you choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhl

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to Oahu in July and I have been searching for just the right dive op for my husband and I. He is Rescue certified and I am advanced cert. We love sea creatures the most and while I have looked and looked for just the right dive op, I am just undecided on which one suits us! We are from Georgia, so the possibility of us getting to Hawaii again is probably small, so you really want a good experience when you go! Here is some of my information and would love your opinions!-- I would like a small number of passengers on a boat (not a cattle call boat); I like the DM leading me around and showing me things/creatures and I am a true resort diver:D who loves someone getting my gear ready for me and taking off my fins and feeding me! I am not opposed to wreck diving but would like to see a lot of dive sites while we are there. We are going to be there 9 days and will probably dive at least 4 of them. So I would like someone who will take me to different sites and have a good time~ we are fun! We are staying on Waikiki and are not renting a car unless we have to. We have all of our equipment minus the tanks for travel. We have read about Kaimana drivers, Capt. Bruce, Dive Oahu, Ocean Concepts, Aarons, Island Divers/Oahu Scuba divers, AAA and Deep Ecology. How do you choose??

Aloha,

Gabe from Kaimana Divers. A few things....

1) I really think it is best to rent a car. Hold off for the first few days, but there are places you are just gonna want to see... North Shore, Pear Harbor etc.

2) I'm happy to talk over options with you as far as taking you to different sites, please PM me for more details...

Mahalo,

G

As the first, I think, off islander replying I'll tell you how I do it.

First of all, there are a lot of dive operators on Oahu. There is a tremendous competition between them. Each has its' local fan club that you will see post on this and other boards. Often the posts and attitudes get pretty vitriolic. So, be prepared to be fired at by someone whenever you express a preference.

First of all I have only encountered unsafe diving on a few occasions. Then it was because the Dive Guide swam off with the rest of the divers leaving a person solo who didn't want to be and was not comfortable being in that position.

After safety the first consideration when I select an operator is whether, or not, that operator will keep my schedule. Many of the operators have a daily schedule that limits the customer's dive time. I've been cut short because the boat had to get back to the dock to pick up the next group of customers. On the other hand some operators, Ocean Concepts is one, limit their schedule so you can dive to the safe limit of your gas and desires.

My next is customer orientation. Some shops have a canned package they expect you to conform to. Others, again like Ocean Concepts, will match your demonstrated ability and desires. If you are a newbie or want hand holding they will stick to you like glue. On the other hand once they are happy with your ability their attitude is that it is your dive; do it your way.

So, pick one that fits you and go for it. After a couple trips, I've made a bunch, you will find your favorite on the best diving island, Oahu.

...or just go with Gabe you won't regret it. The best guide is the one that has no vested interest in island dive shop politics....

The other thing you can do is shore dive. July is prime North Shore diving season. If you rent a guide the first time, you will be able to do it yourselves after that. The same shore dive at Shark's Cove just never gets boring, I think.

You can do it yourselves the first time. But a local guide is always a good idea on a shore dive the first time. Contact Deep Ecology and ask about this, if you are interested. They are on the North Shore and they rent tanks & equipment.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way; I just find them convenient and reasonably priced on the North Shore.
#1 Scuba Diving Hawaii Scuba Diving Tours Dive Travel - Best Scuba Diving & Island Store in Hawaii

Thanks HUE,

Best policy is to stay out of the name calling and finger pointing.... I usually just ask that people take a look at my links and let me know if I'm the kind of Op they want to spend their hard earned cash with, if not.... plenty of others!

Can't wait to get up to Sharks Cove in a week though! Cheee-HOOO!

G

Call around - Talk to the people that might go on the dive with you, not just with the person that answers the phone. That should give you a bit of a feel about them and then take it from there :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I will probably be e-mailing and calling around soon to set up some of my dives! I appreciate all the input and the opinions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom