So, looking for help on a debacle with tec 40/45

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is also closer to Blue Heron Bridge.
Funny, when I had to cancel a week of tech classes because of gale force winds on the ocean, I never once considered using Blue Heron Bridge for a tech diving instructional site.

Blue Heron Bridge is of course only good for dive 1 of tec 40 / 45 which require 8 to 30 feet of depth. I hope you did not think I was implying otherwise.

Another possibility for dive 1 is Rainbow River which is a drive, but is also closer to Vero Beach than Key Largo.

if I went all the way to FL and an unexpected gale came up, I might want to get the students proficient in the dive 1 skills since those are foundational and do the remaining dives at a later date.

Under non-gale conditions, the rest of the dives can be done from a vessel out of Rivera Beach.

Depths of 200 feet or more can be easily reached from there for higher level tec courses. I was once scheduled to dive a 300 foot wreck there, but it was cancelled due to weather.

When I was trying to do diver level TEC 40 myself, the issue of possible weather came up. Jim Wyatt said in that case, we would have to drive 8 hours north to cave country to do the training. Not wanting to chance the weather at all. I did those courses in Bonaire instead with Mr. G at Buddy Dive. I don’t know if he still teaches PADI tec courses himself, since Buddy Dive became a GUE center a few years ago.

Depths of 200 feet or more can be easily reached from there for higher level tec courses. I was once scheduled to dive a 300 foot wreck there, but it was cancelled due to weather.
Those dives are very, very hard to get, especially if you only have one or two divers. If you have students coming in for a week of tech diving, you have to charter a boat that will do the dives. That is OK, but they usually want a four diver minimum, with the instructor (usually free of charge) not counting. That means for that mid-week diving, you have to find a couple more divers per day wanting to do the dives, or else you pay for the "ghost" divers. Then you get it all set up and the winds arrive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom