SO-LO when travelling!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5736087:
I think the #1 reason for using a pony is that most divers have been trained that it's OK to run out of air. :idk:

Unless you are being region specific that's not true. Many rec divers in my area carry ponies. Mainly this is due to the risk of buddy seperation in low vis and the failures at deeper colder depths. No one I know plans to run out of air. We need to preface our comments so they don't appear all encompassing.

Uli, I'll respond tonight if I can. Off to work now.

Yes Dale, I was staying on topic but failed to mention the scope of the topic in every sentence of my post.

I should have said....

I think the #1 reason for using a pony on warm water, good vis, solo dives, less than 30 meters deep, is that most divers have been trained that it's OK to run out of air. :idk:

Unless you are being region specific that's not true. Many rec divers in my area carry ponies. Mainly this is due to the risk of buddy seperation in low vis and the failures at deeper colder depths. No one I know plans to run out of air. We need to preface our comments so they don't appear all encompassing.

Speaking of on topic; solo diving not bad buddy diving, warm water, less than 30 meters deep, good vis... :idk:

Also, I did not say anything about planning to run out of air. Have you seen this thread?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/357709-triggers-dive-accidents.html

Inn 41% oof those cases, the trigger was . . . OUT OF AIR.

This got me to thinking.

So then the question becomes: Why do people run out of air? The answer I've come up with is one that I think is controversial but true: Because we tell them it's OK to run out of air.

I do a lot of solo dives and always carry a pony or dive doubles.

My southern trips are usually to Bonaire. I used to pack a 13 CF in my checked luggage, but now rent a pony. I guess if I was going someplace where I could not rent a smaller pony, I would sling whatever they have.

When diving a resort area like Bonaire, I have learned not to worry about carrying a pony or renting one - unless the they charge you by the tank. What I will normally do is just back a couple of cam bands with d-rings and clips attached. I slap those on a 63 and sling it. Very light and I have all the gas I need, even for a little light deco.

When diving a resort area like Bonaire, I have learned not to worry about carrying a pony or renting one - unless the they charge you by the tank. What I will normally do is just back a couple of cam bands with d-rings and clips attached. I slap those on a 63 and sling it. Very light and I have all the gas I need, even for a little light deco.

Funny you should mention that. I have considered doing that, but with a vid cam and lights, it just seemed a bit too bulky. I may try it on the next trip though.

Dale's rig appears to be an STA with a pair of extra locks. If you don't want to make your own, Dive Rite sells a similarly functioning rig called the Remora.

Sorry... please excuse my ignorance, whats an STA?

Also- Im not a tech diver, and I understand the concept behind slinging tanks and the rest- but Im a little behind in the reality of rigging these setups and using them.

I imagine taking a Tec course would help- but are there any "How To"'s or required reading that I should look at before taking a course? Something that might show me how to rig up independent tanks or sling them?

(Also- I tried looking for the "Remora" at the Dive Rite site but I couldnt find it...)
Thanks again for all the help!

Relax Halo, I'm not a hater :D

Sorry for not replying sooner Uli, got side tracked. A STA is a single tank adaptor which is the thing in the middle of the pics with the bolts coming out of. It is used to mount a single tank to a back plate (so in my example you would need a BC capable of mounting tanks that way).

As Mike says, it is just four cam bands threaded through the STA. There are two sets of doubled up weight belt stoppers (tri glides or whatever they are called) set back from the STA to keep the tanks from flopping towards the diver. I wrapped some duct tape between the STA and stoppers to maintain the right distance between them. The bands are mounted on the tanks so that the bolts are 11" apart.

Don't look for answers to independant doubles rigging in a tech course btw. It's a style of diving that has (for the most part) fallen out of favor in the mainstream since the introduction of the isolating manifold. It does have it's place though in certain applications.

Back
Top Bottom