SO-LO when travelling!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uli Kunkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey people!

I have been doing a bit of soloing in various places in Asia. It all started when, soon after being certified OW, I got tired of chasing after speed-swimming-third-rate DM's and insta-buddies and decided to do my own thing.

These days I tend to take a lot of time with photography and get irritated when other people are around and in a rush to move on. I still enjoy solo diving but there have been a few "what if...." moments and I am completely sold on the idea of taking an alternate air source on the next solo dive.

Im here to ask HOW?
( A few details)
Im staying above 30m.
Warm water, "good" vis (10m +)
Diving with a "standard" BC and regs
Prefer to be relatively unencumbered by too much crazy equipment.
Will always have my camera.

What do you use as a spare when you travel? Keep in mind I'm probably going to be flying on airlines that wont let me keep a pony bottle in any part of my luggage.

How do you carry your alternate when/if you need to have a freer range of movement for, say, photography?

Any answers would be much appreciated!

Deep Sea Supply makes a travel stage kit that you can use to rig a pony bottle for redundant air. You'll need to take a second regulator along to use with it, but the kit makes it possible to use a standard rental tank for a pony. As a photographer who often dives solo, I prefer slinging a pony because once in the water it essentially "disappears" under your left arm ... and having the first stage and tank valve easily accessible reduces the potential for problems.

Another approach ... which I will be training for in a couple months ... is using a sidemount configuration. I've seen that approach used successfully on some of the more remote trips I've taken, which is what appeals to me about it ... since the rig offers built-in redundancy using any available tanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
I still enjoy solo diving but there have been a few "what if...." moments and I am completely sold on the idea of taking an alternate air source on the next solo dive.

Im here to ask HOW?
( A few details)
Im staying above 30m.

You may find the simplest solution is to limit your depth to that which you can comfortably surface. Limiting your depth also keeps down your nitrogen loading so that a rapid ascent to the surface does not put you at unreasonable risk of DCS.

In other words, my preferred alternate air source is an infinite supply, no more than about 15 meters (50') away at the surface, and for most of my dive I will be 12 meters (40') or less in depth.

I sling a small 6cf pony when travelling. Small, but better than CESA which after several days of multiple dive days is not something I want to risk.

Weight is an issue so any solution that allows you to not carry a tank is a good one.

However I really don't want to sling an 80. Big and bulky and a royal pain to get in and out of the water with. 19 is about as large as I personally want to have under my arm.

Travelling with a 19cf pony might be easier than you think. You'll have to get comfortable detaching and reattaching the valve, but the cylinder itself fits even in a modest-sized bag.

I like to solo, fly to dive and take pictures. It is highly dependent on the site.

- For me, if the site is such that I will stay at 50 or above and there is no overhead, then like Charlie I skip the redundant air. I really enjoy the 80-90 minute down time for shallow dives without the extra gear. If the site supports it, this is my choice.

- For 50-75 I can use a small 6cu ft bottle and for 75-100 I use a 13. Either of these bottles can be in checked bags as long as you pull the valve. I back mount both because slinging is a PITA for me with a camera. Others claim they can sling a large bottle and not even notice it, I am not so talented.

- Below 100', I have a 40 cu ft bottle I sling. At this depth, I usually don't want the distraction of a camera so there is no conflict. The 40cu can be shipped, but at this size it becomes a logistical issue due to weight as I have to check 2 bags and pay extra.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Ok, so it looks like a lot of you guys are traveling with cylinders! I thought that was impossible, but I'll look into it.

Of course the easiest option is to dive above 50 feet (15m?) without a backup, however I know me- if I see something that looks promising down around 20m the urge to check it out would be maddening. :D

And then theres slinging an 80cu... it would be the easiest to get, but i imagine it would be something like diving with a lame siamese twin. Does anyone else use another method with 80's?

Hey people!

Im here to ask HOW?
( A few details)
Im staying above 30m.
Warm water, "good" vis (10m +)
Diving with a "standard" BC and regs
Prefer to be relatively unencumbered by too much crazy equipment.
Will always have my camera.

Hey people,

I'm wondering how often incidents happen, in the conditions described above, to a diver who should be solo diving?

What "what if..." is it that you think a pony is the answer for? :idk:

halemanō;5732559:
Hey people,

I'm wondering how often incidents happen, in the conditions described above, to a diver who should be solo diving?

What "what if..." is it that you think a pony is the answer for? :idk:
Really rare - have never had to use it.

Some kind of hardware failure like a first stage failure, a free flowing reg, blown hose. All rare, but all possible and I want to be able to surface at a leasurly pace on the fifth dive of the day in the middle of nowhere if such a thing were to happen. Have only had a free flow and it was so close to the surface and at the beginning of the dive I just went to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom