So I'm going to Cancun Should I bring my gear or rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tagerisatroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to Cancun, and I have three two tank boat dives scheduled, which includes all the gear... But my question is should I bring my gear anyway, I'm a little concerned about trying to go through customs with my gear, but at the same time I'm sure i'd be more comfortable diving my own dive computer, regs, BC, mask and fins.

Basicly what should I do? And if I take my gear to Mexico with me whats my best bet for making sure it gets there and back with me safely?

Take it dude. No telling what type of gear you'll get when you get there. Besides, isn't this exactly why we buy our own gear?

Take your reg, computer, mask on the plane with you. Check the rest. Customs should be a snap, just don't look suspicious. :)

I've taken my gear to Mexico 8 times without incident. I check part of it and carry on part.

Airline folks certainly know what scuba gear looks like so customs should not be a problem. small high dollar items (reg,computer, camera) are pretty easy to fit in a carry on, the rest of the stuff is a bit bulky for a baggage monkey to try to walk off with, but for security's sake print out 2 copies of the inventory of your bag, put one in the bag and keep one on you, this will make any insurance claims easier. I have never had gear stolen while traveling, I definitely wouldn't want to be using mexican rental gear.

Yeah I hadn't been hearing the best things about the Mexican rental gear, I was on the fence, But I think bringing my own gear will just be one less thing to worry about.

I'll just have to take all the weight off my BC :) I don't think I'll need the 7mm wetsuit in Mexico.

Tagerisatroll:
I'll just have to take all the weight off my BC :) I don't think I'll need the 7mm wetsuit in Mexico.
I may be reading this wrong...but don't pack your weights dude. They'll have them on the boat.

We just came back from Riviera Maya, as others have said, pack you regs and computer with carry on, and check your bc. I doubt you will need a 7mm we had a 3mm shorty and my wife who gets cold was very comfortable, even in the Centoe dive. Enjoy, if you are going to Puerto Adventuras, check out Pro Mexico divers, boats are small but the people are safety conscious and look after the dive group.
Coasite 59

Defetenally take it with you, I hve dove severl times in cancun and I have seen and experience to many bad dives with bad rental equipement (some people expirience was so bad that they wanted to cancel their future trips and they would not let them) .. If you want to dive with someone reputable dive with www.divemotions.com
they do all types of dives and even private caverns dives, they are the best I have dove with.
Geko

Take it,, no problem.. carry on your reg and computer. be sure to pack you knife in checked baggage..

-Take your gear!!

-Leave weights and weight belt at home (they will both be available on the boat at no cost).

-The above posts by others are valid and good advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom