So, I have to ask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K, I'm confused! Am I a Dork Diver? I dive for fun ONLY. I am a programmer (for 25 Gawd Long Years!). My gear does not match. My hair color is not perfect. My Car does not match my gear. My gear does not match anything!

Who does NOT dive for fun! Heck, put me in a mudhole with 2 foot vis and I'm having fun!:D

Ron, (shhh.shhh..patting his hands)..it's ok......Just be yourself from now on.....dorkdom forever

RonFrank:
OMG, The shame! How can I face my parents, my siblings, my dog! :sharkattack:
Owning a dog is the ultimate sign of being a dork. It's the one area I fail in as I only like cats, which happen to be ultra cool! :D

NetDoc:
Dude, you will be jealous of my new gorilla! A great friend Dork Diver has been desiging one for me! :D

Uh, huh! And I have seen it! Very nice, indeed! :D

Speaking of rings and fingers, you all have some painful stories! Here's a couple for ya:

Rod grew up on a farm... farmed pigs, cows, corn, wheat, and soybeans. (He's most at home on a tractor in a field, and loves to go home and work the fields in the spring/fall.) Anyway... Rod was helping his grandpa load corn to the grain truck, when his grandpa was climbing down from the truck, he slipped and cought his wedding ring on the side of the truck, degloving his finger. Rod was 15 years old, and drove his grandpa to the hospital, where his finger was beyond repair and was amputated.

Being a Paramedic, I see lots of things, and as such, I've transported a ton of various amputations. One person, in particular, comes to mind... this was about 6 or 7 years ago. I was called out for an injured person. Upon arrival, it was obvious that a man had had a metal door close on his hand. The door amputated his 1st finger, just proximal to the 2nd knuckle (took off a little over 1/2 of the finger). The detatched finger was wrapped and on ice, stub bandaged, and pt. and finger transported to the hospital with the patient. The patient had a GREAT sense of humor and was in very good spirits. I informed the patient when we were arriving at the hospital, and apologized for not getting him there in one piece. Hah! :D He laughed and thanked me for the good care. :wink:

I just love telling that story! End of hijack. :wink:

erparamedic:
I informed the patient when we were arriving at the hospital, and apologized for not getting him there in one piece. Hah! :D He laughed and thanked me for the good care.
Did you get a good "tip"??? :D All machines bite! I put myself through college (GO GATORS!) by working as a lab tech and an apprentice machinist in the Chemistry Department. My time as a lab tech was working in a cryogenics P-Chem lab under Dr Weltner. The Super-con magnet we possessed was the biggest of it's kind at the time and all tools were made of brass, bronze or stainless steel so there would be no magnetic residue left when we were done. Unfortunately, brass is very slippery when used on brass. So when this one screw would not budge, rather than put it into a vise (and having to get the copper covers for it) I held the recalcitrant object in my left hand. Imagine my surprise when I found a brass screw driver through my pointy finger and the finger pointing in the wrong direction. My first reaction was to hurl and I didn't get it all in the sink. One of the grad students came into investigate the commotion and slipped in the spew. Stitches for his head and my hand was placed in an aluminum brace to hold my finger still. We greeted each other for years with "Hey crip!"

NetDoc:
Unfortunately, brass is very slippery when used on brass. So when this one screw would not budge, rather than put it into a vise (and having to get the copper covers for it) I held the recalcitrant object in my left hand. Imagine my surprise when I found a brass screw driver through my pointy finger and the finger pointing in the wrong direction. My first reaction was to hurl and I didn't get it all in the sink. One of the grad students came into investigate the commotion and slipped in the spew. Stitches for his head and my hand was placed in an aluminum brace to hold my finger still. We greeted each other for years with "Hey crip!"

Oh, jeesh! I'm certain that it wasn't funny at the time... but it is now, and the way you tell it! :rofl3: Ummm... hopefully, I'm not laughing at you, but laughing with you today. :D

I can totally picture that story in my mind!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom