So I have been offered a free doubles rig. Worth the hassle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah, don't bother dude.
But he can ship them to me if he likes.....:wink:
I can find a use for two decrepit old tanks.......:)

Sounds like a great opportunity for you.
That is..... if you're setup and dive doubles.

Have fun and dive safely.

The problem (more "inconvenience") of double aluminum tanks up there in cold saltwater is that the aluminum tanks are considerably more buoyant (when empty) than steel tanks. In cold water, you're already going to need a bit of weight to sink yourself with a thick wetsuit or drysuit, and when you add salt in there, you'll need even more. Each aluminum tank may be a few pounds buoyant when empty (meaning you have to add even more lead to compensate), whereas steel tanks are usually still negatively buoyant, even when empty.

Steel doubles versus aluminum doubles could account for quite a few pounds difference in the lead you have to wear. If you're in warm freshwater areas, you may not have enough lead on your weight belt to really care, but when you've already got a weight belt the mob would love, losing a few pounds versus adding several can be a nice thing.

cool that is great I am already looking at a pretty heavy belt as I am a big dude with a big 7mm suit. Would be nice if they are steel i guess, if not i guess i'll just have to send them to mksmith713. ;-)

cool that is great I am already looking at a pretty heavy belt as I am a big dude with a big 7mm suit. Would be nice if they are steel i guess, if not i guess i'll just have to send them to mksmith713. ;-)

Ummmmm ... mksmith713 was just deported to kyrgyzstan and he asked me to ask you to send them to me as a special favor to him... :eyebrow:

I'll make a great set of earings for my wife :cool2:

Shawn
"bubble,, bubble,, bubble"

You vultures are on the east coast shipping costs will not be worth it. I will be in SoCal diving next week and will be happy to avoid making his uncle break down the old doubles for shipping and get them. :D.

BTW - yes do ask ask if the cylinders are aluminum or steel. If steel you are golden. If aluminum ask how old the cylinders are. If the cylinders were made before 1990 and made by Luxfer then it might not be worth the hassle because of the 6351 alloy. However, being in SoCal I would guess if aluminum that they were made by Catalina which in that case you are fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom