So I have been offered a free doubles rig. Worth the hassle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
An uncle I don't talk to often who lives in L.A. (I am in Seattle) was in town for a wedding and offered me a free double tank set up. He said he dove them three times before hanging it up. Knowing what I know about this guy he would have spent top dollar on whatever was the best option at the time but I also believe the tanks are likely 10 or so years old. As I understand it I would need the tanks checked out, and the offer was they were mine if I just figured out how to get them here. Not sure if they are alum or steel nut wondered how tough or expensive would the shipping likely be? also just is it worth the hassle or is it better to just rent tanks locally for a while before getting my own (hard to pass on free though). Thanks.

Sure, get them. Why not? It's maybe only a $100 to UPS them.

cool I wasn't sure of because they were containers for compressed gases there would be some sort of pain in the butt shipping issues or requirements. If it is just 100 bucks then I'm in.

You may have to have the valves opened or removed before shipping, but so what? It's still a good deal.

If shipping them I would recommend having the manifold removed. I have had two sets shipped where the shipper did not do this. Both times the manifold got whacked. One manifold had to be replaced. Also do not ship them with peanuts use solid styrofoam. The best way is to ship each cylinder in its own box but then tape both boxes together, ship the manifold and bands separately.

Based on my experience shipping them from LA to SEA will set you back $80-$100, figure $60-$80 for a hydro and visual inspection.

You almost can't lose, even with the costs of shipping. You'll have to have them vized and hydroed when they get here, and depending on the tanks, you might want to break them down and use them as single tanks for yourself, or sell the doubles setup and use that money toward your own tanks. Or, you can always tuck them away against the day when you might want to actually dive doubles, if that ever happens.

It might be worth finding out if they're Al80's, though, because you can pick up used Al80 tanks for about $75, and $150 might be less than the cost of viz/hydro/shipping for the doubles. And Al80s aren't very good doubles for cold salt water.

Oh, and make sure the person shipping them doesn't pack the tanks with the bands and manifold all in the same box. I got some shipped to me, and the process of shipping ruined the bands because the tanks shifted and squished them.

Cool I will ask if they are alum80s or steel tanks. My thought was to break them down and have a tank of my very own, and then give the other to the buddy taking the class with me. Figured it is certainly not the MOST expensive part of outfitting ourselves but if one thing is out of the way we can focus on other things. TSandM why would double alum not be good here? Just out of curiosity, I think it will be a while before I am needing a double set up but the price is hard to beat. Class starts monday night, I am nearly shaking with excitement.

Good luck with the cert. enjoy it is only the begining......

thanks Bane, been a long time a coming. Thank god for the patient folks in the PNW forum.

Back
Top Bottom