So How Did DEMA Get So Big That Oceanic Can't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fortunately it's not that urgent an issue this time, but I appreciate the offer. She does plan to dive on the 27th, a club activity we're doing, but not before then. And even that would not require a comp, it's a shallow spring dive. So I think we're OK without anyone doing anything special. It was a bit shocking to find us in this position though.

If we were on or about to leave on a dive vacation it'd change things a lot.

I do have to say as a plus on the VP comp, battery life has otherwise been good. Hers didn't get much use before running low, but mine has been dove quite a bit & still shows a full indicator. I was about to replace it because I figured it had to be getting low but so far, not.

The actual battery replacement isn't that bad, but getting it in & out of the console is enough fun that when possible I'll let the LDS do it :wink:

The actual battery replacement isn't that bad,

I've got a Versa Pro, and have been through about three batteries, and a sick computer
where I did several battery replacements convincing myself it was sick. Battery
replacement sucks.

1. It requires a special tool, not a nickel or quarter.

2. It's really hard to get it back together. And IMPOSSIBLE in the eight seconds you
have to do a hot swap battery change so it doesn't loose your current nitrogen loading
info (the cover is part of the electical circuit, so the clock starts when the cover
comes off, and stops when it goes back on). After the cover comes off, you have to take
the battery out, remove the clip it sits in, put the clip on the new battery, put that
back in, and get the cover back on. And the cover doesn't like to go back on. Oh,
and you are also supposed to replace the O-ring.

The old hockey puck Pellagic computers were just fine - remove the cover with a
quarter. The electicals are still running. Pop the battery out, pop the new one in.
Electicals are running again. Remove o-ring, lube new O-ring, install new O-ring,
answer the phone and a couple of e-mails, install cover. Done.

Actually, I like the VersaPro, except for the battery cover, and:

- It only has about six pixels from fully desaturated to end of the green zone. I'd
like a whole lot more.

- I have a wrist mount. Every time I bring it up to look at it, it complains I'm
ascending too fast.

- Mine crapped out. Oceanic did give me a very friendly price on fixing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom