So how can I inch closer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey people, it sure does smell different in here than in the basic section. Well anyways, just wondering if there is any way to begin preparing myself for more advanced types of diving. What can be done to make myself a more proficient diver? How about a safer diver?

I have not had many problems worth talking about while diving, which makes me think i'm missing something (experience maybe?). Or could it be that a nip little problems in the butt before they become worth talking about?

I've asked people for constructive criticism (instructors) and have not gotten anything to really help me out, so i'm left here, thirsty for more, but given nothing to drink.
Suggestions?

Reactions: Jax
so i'm left here, thirsty for more, but given nothing to drink.
Suggestions?
KOOL-AID? :D

Diving is great training for diving. At less than 50 dives, that should probably be your priority. Training is also good.

You didn't mention what you meant by "advanced types of diving". That could make a difference. But I can tell you what it means to me, and maybe that will click. I am on your level, so I can't speak as an advanced diver, just one who would like to be some day, and has researched the question, and begun to swim down the path.

GUE Fundamentals takes basic skills (bouyancy, trim, balance, fin kicks) with some drills (smb, valve drills, air-share safety drills) etc, and sets them on a higher, more precise level.

I highly recommend doing a GUE fundies course. It will let you know where you actually are on those basic skills, and give you tools to improve them if you are not quite there. I personally have a provisional pass (not really a pass, but will be when I work though some things). What the course gave me is a list of specific skills to work on.

The only catch is that you need to take the course in GUE/DIR style rig, including BP/W and non-split fins. I have heard though that some locations do have some equipment available for rent. So if you are interested and don't own the right stuff, you could call around and probably find out about rentals.

These skills are the platform that most advanced types of diving will be built on.

Regards,

Linda

Dive some more. Try performing your basic skills off the bottom and in a hover
ie Mask clear, Fin D&R, Weight belt roll, Buddy breathing, OOA shares. etc

You can also try night diving. If you have access to a wharf you can practice blackout ascents in a safe manner. Focus your eyes on your gauges and if you get disoriented or thrown off you then have the pilings to look for a reference.

Just remember to take baby steps, get a mentor/buddy who is experienced in these new ventures to come along with you and provide guidance.

You live in Florida. If you are not interested in a Fundamentals class or Primer (which would be my first recommendation), then I'd highly suggest you try to hook up with an instructor who is cave-trained (shouldn't be hard to find) and get him to work with you on precise buoyancy, trim, positioning, and propulsion techniques. Not only will these things be a good foundation for any more "advanced" diving you want to do, but they will also make the diving you are already doing much more fun. That's what I say about Fundamentals . . . I read JJ's book, and he promised me that diving that way would be more fun, and he delivered.

Hey people, it sure does smell different in here than in the basic section. Well anyways, just wondering if there is any way to begin preparing myself for more advanced types of diving. What can be done to make myself a more proficient diver? How about a safer diver?

First I'd recommend figuring out where you want to go with your diving. Coming from somewhere that might challenge your status claim, If local diving is your focus, tell us about your local diving. I am a warm water instructor/guide/photographer/solo diver and I probably didn't need the amount of training I paid for. The skills asked for in my Rebreather, Cavern and Intro to Cave classes were not really much more than DM quality skills (they were definitely a little more, but only a little).

I have not had many problems worth talking about while diving, which makes me think i'm missing something (experience maybe?). Or could it be that a nip little problems in the butt before they become worth talking about?

Can you swim a couple miles in the typical near shore ocean? Can you free dive to 100'? I just exhaled completely and did not breath in for over 30 seconds; can you do that? Do you see why all three of those things above might make you a better diver?

I've asked people for constructive criticism (instructors) and have not gotten anything to really help me out, so i'm left here, thirsty for more, but given nothing to drink.
Suggestions?

self sufficient diver seems like it might be a good start, with the right instructor :idk:

If you are not feeling frustrated with any particular aspect of your diving, and your instructors have not identified any particularly problematic aspect of your diving, what is left is just to keep doing dives and pushing up against your experience until you hit a wall or until you figure out what sort of challenge you are keen to overcome with advanced training. Sometimes the challenge ends up being some kind of technical training such as cave diving (already mentioned) or wreck diving or rebreather diving or recreational diving with some special wrinkle such as photo or reef surveying, etc. Depending on what you discover through your dive experiences, what you need to do to develop the requisite dive skills will become apparent.

Go diving alot. I mean really alot. finding a group of people in your area that dive alot and dive beyond your skill set is a good start. By diving with them and diving alot, all your questions will work themselves out.
Eric

I second the idea about diving a lot. In your area I would look into finding a Dive Club or try using the SB forum Florida Conch Divers. Now, let's look at what you mean by wanting to do more advanced "stuff". To some it may be going to 100 feet, to others maybe continuing up the training ladder with recreational diving such as Advanced, Rescue, etc.Others may want to go GUE or the "Tech"
route - cavern, cave, deep, wreck penetration, whatever. Try to dive a lot with a variety of people, ask a lot of questions (of them and on SB), seek out a great instructor/mentor - in Largo you have NetDoc. Whatever way you think you might want
to go, don't try to do too much too fast. Enjoy the diving one step at a time.

the best way to advance skills is to dive. dive a lot. you'll realize that you just "feel" better in the water. You'll know that you bouyancy and air management become even more efficient.

Also focus on some advanced classes based on where you want to take your diving. I like wrecks for example. However, you could not pay me enough to cave dive. I don't really see those as "advanced"....to me those are specialities. Like ice diving. Living in Florida....it is not something i plan for.

And with hundreds of dives i've never personally had a serious problem or even been scared. I have seen things happen to other people....i've participated in rescues with people i didn't know and various other issues. So a rescue diver class is a good thing! (also a first aid and CPR class...outside of diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom