Snuba in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate those things! A couple of years ago someone bought one out right behind our hotel and ran it for a couple of hours while we were trying to have siesta. It was like having someone run a chainsaw right outside your bedroom window.

End rant. :D

I did snuba in Chankanaab Park years ago and I quite liked it. I wasn't certified then, but I had done a Discover Scuba already. Since you're connected via a hose to a machine on the surface of the water, it's not as "free" as being on scuba.
Of course, now that I'm certified, I'd probably never snuba again, but if you're not certified, I guess it's the next best thing. I don't know if there's a minimum age for snuba, but probably.

PADI has programs for kids from 8 - 10 years old. Here's the link: Scuba Diving Lessons for Kids - PADI Blog

Hi DavidNDC,

I actually work at a dive center where SNUBA is incorporated and I actually find it extremely easy for younger divers to get involved with diving at an earlier age through this program. It's actually really cool because the youths that we take out on SNUBA dives typically come back and get certified when they become of age, which appears to be the goal of the folks over at SNUBA International. I've brought it to the attention of the president of SNUBA my concerns over previously talked about lung over expansion and there has never been one case ever reported which is pretty astonishing for a company that's been around for 30 years. Probably for the fact that your not even at one atmosphere it's relatively safe. I fully recommend getting your little guy involved with SNUBA and get him comfortable with breathing compressed air under water so he can get his certs done when he's of age! Hope this helped. Have a great time in Mexico!

Regards,

I've brought it to the attention of the president of SNUBA my concerns over previously talked about lung over expansion and there has never been one case ever reported which is pretty astonishing for a company that's been around for 30 years. Probably for the fact that your not even at one atmosphere it's relatively safe.

Bolding and Italics mine. You work at a dive center and this is the information you're dispensing? Are you even certified? Even Basic OW knows that the greatest pressure changes occur closer to the surface....

Hi DavidNDC,

I actually work at a dive center where SNUBA is incorporated and I actually find it extremely easy for younger divers to get involved with diving at an earlier age through this program. It's actually really cool because the youths that we take out on SNUBA dives typically come back and get certified when they become of age, which appears to be the goal of the folks over at SNUBA International. I've brought it to the attention of the president of SNUBA my concerns over previously talked about lung over expansion and there has never been one case ever reported which is pretty astonishing for a company that's been around for 30 years. Probably for the fact that your not even at one atmosphere it's relatively safe. I fully recommend getting your little guy involved with SNUBA and get him comfortable with breathing compressed air under water so he can get his certs done when he's of age! Hope this helped. Have a great time in Mexico!

Regards,

That is some of the absolute worst and most dangerous post/advice I've ever read on scubaboard and I've been here for almost 20 years under different names. It figures it is your 1st post here.

No problems because you're "not even one atmosphere"??? Let me give you a clue... at 33' of depth you're at 2 atmospheres and anyone who holds a full breath in a panic surfacing from 33' is probably DEAD in time. Anyone who takes and holds a full breath from some 15' SNUBA hose and ascends to the surface without venting can look forward to a stay in intensive care at best thanks to a 50% over-expansion of the lungs and the damage it caused.

What kind of an idiot/fool are you to post such a thing to a mother of an 8-year old? You want to see an 8-year old die or end up in the hospital surviving on O2 trying to heal the lung damage?

Get lost you friggin' idiot and before you post again (under a new name I'm sure)... get certified and learn something.

Last edited:
Bolding and Italics mine. You work at a dive center and this is the information you're dispensing? Are you even certified? Even Basic OW knows that the greatest pressure changes occur closer to the surface....
Pressure increases linearly with depth, one atmosphere for every 33 feet, approximately.

Pressure increases linearly with depth, one atmosphere for every 33 feet, approximately.

True, but the greatest PERCENTAGE increase, on a per foot basis, is near the surface. Since volume of a gas is inversely proportional to pressure, a 33% decrease in pressure, going from about 16 feet (1.5 atm) to the surface (1 atm) results in a 50% increase in volume. But going from 33 feet (2.0 atm) to 16 feet (1.5 atm) is only a 25% decrease in pressure, and only a 33% increase in air volume. So the closer to the surface a diver is, the greater the percentage change in both pressure and gas volume for every foot of change in depth. It's not the absolute pressure that is dangerous, it is the Delta V - the rate of change in Volume of air expressed as a percentage. And that percentage rate of change function is NOT linear.

Last edited:
I saw a snuba rig near papa hogs dive shop.

You and your son best know his maturity level. Age 8 is minimum generic standard for some reason.

At 8 I was working on building a hookah rig with my friend. So a kid that loves the water is close to my heart and I'd love to hear he gets this opportunity.

If you decide against it, as stated, plenty of snorkeling from shore and interesting critters hanging around the docks. He'd see more breath holding free diving anyway since those snuba herds have any fish with two brain cells heading for Cuba.

Enjoy your vacation and thanks for raising some more divers!
Cameron

If this is such a dangerous issue how has nobody been injured on snuba due to an expansion injury. Nothing beats the law of averages over time so what's the missing element?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom