Snot Fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At the end of a dive I seem to have an abnormal build up of mucus in my nose. I don't have any cold or respiratory problems but despite trying antihystamines and blowing my nose a bunch prior to diving I still have this problem. Any solutions out there? I have not tried decongestent nose drops yet but that is next on my list. My mask has a purge valve and maybe that is agrivating the problem.

It goes with the territory, most people drip snot after diving.

There is normal mucus in your nose and in your sinuses. When the air expands in your sinuses as you ascend, it blows out some of the mucus contents of the space, and that mucus comes out of your nose. It's normal, and there is nothing that you can do or need to do about it, except discreetly wipe it away.

Or, when hanging at your safety stop, do the mask remove / replace drill, wiping your nose in the process. :wink:

It usually runs when liquified even swimming in a pool and going under. Thats one reason I dont go in public pools. A good buddy will tell you you got something hangin.

Interesting comments. I forgot to mention that it only happens when i am diving warm salt water not fresh cool water.

Interesting comments. I forgot to mention that it only happens when i am diving warm salt water not fresh cool water.

The warm water opens up capaleries and nasel passages where as cold water tends to constrict them.

Back
Top Bottom