Snorkling site for newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear

Contributor
Reaction score
Help ! I have three nieces coming to visit soon, ages are 4, 10, and 12. The only snorkling they've done is in pools. Looking for some sites close to shore with decent viz. and some fish life. Other than the swim area in Pennekamp Park none come to mind. Any suggestions ? Been diving over 30 yrs., but first with kids, always took Labradors. Thanks

Yes, get snorkeling vests. It will help the kids feel safer when they get over the deeper water.
For starters, if they have never snorkeled, (no need for the vest here) go to Houlover, north side and that little cove is a great place to see lots of critters in under 2 feet of water. Watch out for loads of broken glass tho.
For the older nieces (would NOT recommend the 4 yr old doing this), with vest on, go to:
1. Hollywood Beach. Check out this post for directions.

2. Lauderdale By The Sea is good for snorkelers. I-95 to Commerical Blvd East to end. south to first (Datura) or second (Hibiscus) streets. Go straight out.

3. Dania Erojacks. I-95 to Sheridan St. East to end. North about 3 miles, go right just before the bridge into the parking lot. Go all the way to the northern end. Head out NE looking onshore for the jack. (you will know when you see it). The jacks runs E-W from the jack on shore.

I have taken my nephews who has never snorkeled to LBTS and the Erojacks. Both are easy and enjoyable.
Good luck and enjoy!

Palm Beach in front of the Breakers hotel is a sunken/broken pier that supports life. Short swim 5 to 15 foot deph, and i even saw a little turtle there.

I can tell you about some popular West coast sites, haven't dove or snorkled the East Coast of Florida though...I Took my kids and a kid/friend out to Crystal River/Hunters Park last weekend, where they where able to swim/snorkle with Manatee. It was a hoot! The Manatee are of course ususally more abunant in the Winter, but if you get there early enough in the morning You can sometimes swim with them year round...
Timmer Down

scubabear:
Help ! I have three nieces coming to visit soon, ages are 4, 10, and 12. The only snorkling they've done is in pools. Looking for some sites close to shore with decent viz. and some fish life. Other than the swim area in Pennekamp Park none come to mind. Any suggestions ? Been diving over 30 yrs., but first with kids, always took Labradors. Thanks

Start out at Pennekamp. Is your "swimming area" the artificially created lagoon? I taught my daughters there. Fish do enter the lagoon and it is hard to get lost there.

I have also used the snorkeling charter just outside the park. It was a lot of fun.

Good luck!

Grecian Rocks is a great snorkeling spot if you're going out on a boat in Pennecamp.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom