Snorkle Report: Marine Room 10/09/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I had an ok-ish snorkle last weekend, but viz was still a bit sandy so I decided not to post. Also, the thick fog just made the lighting situation hard (read: blurry pics).

But then today was pretty amazing from the second I stepped outside. When I got to the beach, the morning was gorgeous, the ocean was mostly flat, and the sun came out too. I didn't bring any gauges or anything with me so I can't comment exactly on the temp, but I didn't start shivering until about an hour and a half in (which is better than last weekend with that thick fog blotting out the sun). Here's the day:
PA090011_zpsnngn2jvx.jpg

And the walk down:
PA090012_zpsj7qfizaq.jpg

And then water - I found leopard sharks! The second I put my mask and snorkle on and dunked my face in the water, I saw one smoothly glide right past me:
PA090017_zpsirggry4e.jpg

The floppy tail always gets me lol...

I was joined by several baitballs today:

A cleaning station:

Nice big giant kelpfish

So I was thinking to myself, ok leopard sharks, wouldn't it be perfect if I got to see a horn shark on this trip too? Then I saw the tell-tale horn with spots...
PA090053_zpsshkqine8.jpg

PA090057_zpsmnxnfxib.jpg

...continued in next post

Another skate.. I saw a lot of these on this snorkle.
PA090065_zpsc4w6up3m.jpg

Then all of a sudden...

Jackpot!

This is that shovelnose guitarfish that was just swimming along with the Leopard Sharks. All the flat cartilaginous fish and leopard sharks like hanging out right in the surf zone. I saw one or two round rays too.
PA090079_zpsbxwtn2ak.jpg

Mostly video of the sharks, but here's a terrible still:
PA090080_zpsv2p6zczc.jpg

Anyway, go hit the water if you're in town. It's nice out today!

Back
Top Bottom