Snorkels and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, dude, but then it gets taken to the landfill and it kills baby ocelots

and it's all YOUR fault

:wink:

jmlavoie:
Good point, for now with single tank there is a lot more space. When I'll be more DIR I'll probably stay with a Single but with a Dual valve, there will be enough space anyway. I'll figure out a way to prevent it from floating for now. I'm still a lot recreative, doing recreative, I'll adapt my equipment and dive acordingly during this time.

This is a good solution, I'll check it when I get used to working with pockets and other equipment. There is still lot of details to fix.

If you are interested in putting a pocket on your wetsuit PM me and I can give you some hints and details.

Wendy:
If you are interested in putting a pocket on your wetsuit PM me and I can give you some hints and details.

Thanks Wendy, I plan to do it. I'm doing on a first pass of equipment adjustement that includes fixing the snorkel issue so I could get a long/short hose, without getting the extra stress of having no access to a snorkel once at the surface.

If you can point the extra information on it it will be fine. Halcyon have little information but not very much. That may be another Thread, I just don't know where it should be started.

Thanks

Anybody not diving with a snorkel should be well aware that there are places where the thing is required by local ordinance... whether you actually use it or not.

I hate snorkels, especially on my mask. I think they are really annoying. Sometimes in rough seas it is very hard to breath through your mouth with out any equiptment. If a diver is out of air for whatever reason, its doesnt matter, having a snorkel could mean a lot. Although I still wont dive with a snorkel ;-) Ill just watch my air!!!!

Gerard

Sorry about the hack and slay job on this thread, but I pared it down to [somewhat] fit in the context of DIR. The full thread still exists in the Basic SCUBA discussion section.

Stripping out the overhead and skin diving references in GUE's Fundamentals of Better Diving, it comes down to one sentence:

"While diving, snorkels are best left on the boat."

And that's it.

The idea is to put the energy into planning the dive to avoid emergency situations, rather than to carry all sorts of claptrap "just in case".

Like doing real gas planning so even if one of you loses their air at the worst possible point in the dive, you and you buddy can surface normally and get back to the exit point/boat/whatever breathing on your regs.

And if everything goes South, inflate your wing, roll over on your back and swim back with your face well out of the water. No need for any extra gear to accomplish that.

Roak

Allow me to butt in here...

I have an exercise for everyone that NEEDS a snorkel to feel more comfortable at the surface. Go to open water, with waves and stuff, and put your reg in your mouth; now breathe AROUND the reg to inhale and exhale through it.

You don't need a snorkel, you need to learn to control your airway. This isn't that hard but it does take practice. If you have some air in your tank so you're inhaling half tank gas and half ambiant air, so what? All you're trying to do is figure out how NOT in inhale water, because that is bad.

I have a snorkel, and it goes on every dive trip, in my bag, where it belongs, in case I want to snorkel.

Rachel

Wendy:
Hi wendy i have Dirf next week and want another pocket on my left wetsuit what do you suggest.
I personally dive without a snorkel but some boats can pretty narcy even been told to go get one when doing padi course or the instructor wouldn't let me dive!!

thanks for any help
james

maccajim:
Hi wendy i have Dirf next week and want another pocket on my left wetsuit what do you suggest.
I personally dive without a snorkel but some boats can pretty narcy even been told to go get one when doing padi course or the instructor wouldn't let me dive!!

thanks for any help
james

I got the dive rite thigh pocket and removed the harness attachment and velcro thigh wrap and sewed it directly to my wetsuit. Some folks just glue and some use a combination of glue and sewing. You can use any dry suit or bellows pocket, fifthd.com has some too. stay away from zippered pockets. Attach it to the left leg of your wetsuit. I put my suit on and marked where i wanted the pocket. You want it on the outside of the thing and not on the top of the thing (keep it in your slip stream created by your shoulders so it doesn't create excess drag). I also installed a grommet in either side of the pocket and attached a bungee loop so i could clip things off inside of the pocket. examples of this i think are on www.wkpp.org. hope this helps and have fun in class.

Wendy:
Some folks just glue

would regular "crazy glue" work, or do you need a neoprene-
compatible glue? if the later, what's a good brand?

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom