Snorkeling with the whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daddoos had asked Firstdive2005 about his remark...
-I wont wear my full 3mil dive wetsuit. Can't swim fast enough. I will wear a skin( in case of jelly stings).
-I will get a personal dive vest. They give you the type that you cant get under surface. I will buy the type you have to blow up. You can get sub surface with them to get better view or pics.
So aside from your advice...
it is regulation and rules that you use either neoprene or a lifevest as positive bouyancy and as we all know neoprene is the way to go!
Is it okay with your operation to wear the inflatable snorkeler vest?

Is it okay with your Op to "get sub surface with them to get better view"...?

Or not, but you didn't say that?

I've only done it once, but our Op was fine with us using the inflatables, which I did not inflate until the end of a chase when I got winded. I didn't descend below snorkel depth tho; hell, I needed all the wind I could suck chasing those biguns!

I don't know how well still pics will work in that greenish water and moving fish, especially since I think flashes are prohibited. I went with video and loved it...!

Is it possible to drive up from Cancun early in the morning and catch a boat out to see the sharks? We'll have a rental car.

Are there boats that run from Chiquila mainland or do we have to catch the ferry across to Holbox?

Any tips on operators would be great.

Cheers,

Jon

Is it possible to drive up from Cancun early in the morning and catch a boat out to see the sharks? We'll have a rental car.

Are there boats that run from Chiquila mainland or do we have to catch the ferry across to Holbox?

Cheers,

Jon
Maybe. I wouldn't, but just maybe something like this...
Leave Cancun hotel zone in the dark to drive thru the city with a gooood map, probly around 2am.

3 hours minimum drive in dark from Cancun on local roads with villages and topes/speed bumps. The Can-Do Mayan adventure map has those roads pretty well illustrated. You cannot use the fast toll road! To learn my my past mistakes, see How to Drive from Playa del Carmen to Holbox...!

Park your car and find a private boat who will take you across to Holbox.

Meet your Domino chasing boat at 7am.​
Nah, I'd go in the day before, spend a night, enjoy a nice dinner overlooking the town square, OR book with a boat that will take you out of the port near Cancun...!!

We went to Utila in april to see the whale sharks but had no luck. Will try Holbox next time. Is it legal to use one of those battery powered torpedo things?

We went to Utila in april to see the whale sharks but had no luck. Will try Holbox next time. Is it legal to use one of those battery powered torpedo things?
I don't know, but kinda doubt it. The rules are in place primarily to protect the magnificent creatures from irritation, and they irritate me. :D The time to swim with them is shared by the paying passengers on the boat, and the safety guide has to make every swim - but ours didn't seem bothered, must have been in great shape. But for two months or more, it's not if you'll see them, but how many. Mantas are not as plentiful; only swam with one.

SH-05.jpg
Click to enlarge​
If you could only do a long weekend, it'd be cheap enough...!

Cheers,

Jon
Yes, there are dive operators that leave out of Cancun. Try Mayan Aqua Dive.http://www.mayanaquadive.com/snorkel-with-whale-shark/

Yeah, that would beat the adventure drive I outlined above - and oh! I forgot to mention the numerous and large potholes. My drive in thru those was in the dark, so it can be done without wrecking, but wow! Top off your gas tank any chance you get. Not sure when the one at the ferry is open, other than not on Sunday mornings! Eh, take the boat from near Cancun and let them handle it. :thumb:

Thanks for the info -- we'll definitely avoid that oh-dark-thirty drive on the backroads.

One other option is to stay on Holbox rather than in Cancun (I never was keen about staying in Cancun but it seemed like an easy base of operations on the mainland).

I'm thinking of 3-4 days on Holbox -- which would give us time to see the sharks, fish a little, relax and do some exploring on the mainland via our rental car as well (assuming the ferry service is frequent and convenient).

Is this feasible?

Thanks again for the benefit of your experience.

Jon

Thanks for the info -- we'll definitely avoid that oh-dark-thirty drive on the backroads.

One other option is to stay on Holbox rather than in Cancun (I never was keen about staying in Cancun but it seemed like an easy base of operations on the mainland).

I'm thinking of 3-4 days on Holbox -- which would give us time to see the sharks, fish a little, relax and do some exploring on the mainland via our rental car as well (assuming the ferry service is frequent and convenient).

Is this feasible?

Thanks again for the benefit of your experience.

Jon
Yep, that'll work. We just did 3 nights on Holbox, 2 days of Domino chasing - but some stay much longer, exploring other sites around the island and even on the mainland. If you arrive at the dock 30 minutes before ferry time, you can negotiate a cheaper rate on a private boat. We only saw the ferry from the outside, but it did not look appealing.

Holbox is a cash only island btw, no banks anywhere close, no ATMs, very few will accept credit cards or travelers checks. Wonderful little town, excellent cafes overlooking the town square. I gave you the link to my report on driving there above I think, and there are other threads on the main Mexico forum about the island. :search: Holbox - lots of info.

Have a great trip. :pilot:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom