Snorkeling vests ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get the Snorkeling Vest with an Inflator tube you can inflate or deflate when you want to dive down. The tube has a "lock" that you can screw down so you can't deflate it.... but you can choose to lock it or not depending on the abilities of the snorkeler.

As noted above they ahve been around for a long time. The idea was to have something that would provide flotation if you needed it to rest or for safety. You deflate it to dive, and IF you need the flotation to float you inflate it and relax--no treading water needed. I have heard that the Coast Guard had something to do with "requiring" them but I don't know if that is valid or not.

Sometimes I have worn a few pounds of lead while snorkeling. It makes the diving descents easier for me, and I can get deeper more quickly. Of course, on the ascent I get to swim those same few pounds back up.

With this setup, I don't float very well at the surface, and I need to gently keep finning to stay up. I use the inflatable snorkel vest so I can positively buoyant on the surface when necessary (resting every 5 or 10 minutes).

Carbon

dabiz7:
Does anyone use these things while snorkeling?...is it some kind of requirement at public ocean areas?.....I don't think I have ever used one, but someone told me I had to wear one while snorkeling?....Opinions?.thanks

You could always just use a 1.5 mm wetsuit... they'll keep you bouyant.

They are a pain. When we went snorkeling in the carribean we were required to wear them. They actually swam out to get us, because we had our own gear and had just gone in from the beach on our own. I think it is a "make money off of the tourist" gimmick.

I have no trouble staying afloat and resting without the gear. It only served to irritate me and mess with my ability to stay under for any length of time, and to wrestle a few more bucks out of my wallet.

We were required to wear them snorkeling the reef outside of Puerto Morales (South of Cancun). We were told this was because it was a national park area and liability... but mostly to keep dumb tourists off the actual reef (which I can understand that one, given some of the idiots I've seen!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom