Snorkeling vests ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dabiz7

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use these things while snorkeling?...is it some kind of requirement at public ocean areas?.....I don't think I have ever used one, but someone told me I had to wear one while snorkeling?....Opinions?.thanks

Never worn such a thing and never seen it required anywhere. If it is, it's some kind of local thing.

dabiz7:
Does anyone use these things while snorkeling?...is it some kind of requirement at public ocean areas?.....I don't think I have ever used one, but someone told me I had to wear one while snorkeling?....Opinions?.thanks
that "if manure floats, why shouldn't you?" (of course this one sounds so much more hilarious and wiser in Filipino)

my personal take is it's a combo marketing gimmick or yet another device marketted towards the hyperparanoia of our times...

just like spending hundreds in "child proofing" your house... you'll never hear the end of it how real important it is... but really now... you want to child proof your house? don't get a child

Jag <--- about to get flamed by the hyperparanoid

Had to wear one at Garrafon Reef Park on Isla Mujeras near Cancun. The vest was a stinking life jacket! About 4 of us divers were moaning about having to wear one but they wouldn't budge. What stunk is you couldn't skin dive with it. You couldn't add/deflate air. A really awful experience wearing one. Half the clips were broken on mine, it was really funny. I have this picture from there of me with this life jacket riding up higher than my head. I had to buy they picture (which is something I never do) just because I hated this vest so much.

Matt

Well, next maybe helmets and knee pads. I have a vest from 1966. They have been around a long time. If one is venturing far from shore it might be wise to wear one. I rarely do, I free dive, mask and fins and knife and depth guage--no vest--no snorkel.
I know of no such law but it would not surprise me. N

I also had to wear one while on a day trip from Cancun. I knew this ahead of time and I brought a snokling vest. It was alot better than the broken life jackets, I could inflate and deflate as needed. It's a PITA to have to wear one, but it's better than a life jacket.

The army requires them for anyone snorkeling off Kwajalein. We used to require them on the coral reef seminars when I worked for U of Miami. Some dive boats require them for snorkelers in the keys.

I remember we had to use them at some places in the Carribean when I went on a cruise a few years back. This was the only time in 35 years snorkelling.
Big joke. I remember when I used to work in Spain I used to rappell down the rocks to get into the breaking waves. Nobody demanded I wore a life vest.

The ones i've seen have a filler tube to inflate orally,(or de-flate). I make my guys wear them while were doing water recoverys. I thought the idea was to snorkle with them partially inflated, or deflated, and air them up as needed?

When I went snorkeling through one of the park-operated snorkel boats at Pennekamp in Key Largo, all the snorkelers were required to wear them. I thought it was ridiculous until everyone splashed in and I realized that a good percentage of people on the boat could barely swim. People were flailing around like crazy even with the vests on, and I actually saw one guy try to stand *on the reef* to adjust his mask. I think it's a combination of (1) liability for the boat operator and (2) catering to the lowest common denominator. I've never been asked to wear one anywhere else. I've also chosen independent boat operators since then... much better experiences all around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom