snorkeling in Philipines in March/April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

world_traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello
We plan a trip in the Philipines including snorkeling at the end of March - 1st half of April. After some reading we decided to go to the following places:
1. Donsol for the whale sharks
2. El Nido (tours A&C)
3. Apo reef

Even though the places are highly recommended in Lonely Planet and on different web sites, we have some doubts because according to some general tourism forums:
1. in Donsol you don't see as many whale sharks as advertised
2. in El Nido the snorkeling isn't great
3. in Apo Reef there are strong currents

I'll be grateful for you opinion on these places. Also, if there are different places that can be better at this time of year please let me know.

Thank you in advance

I was getting ready to post a question about Philippines snorkeling, when I came across yours. Maybe we can help each other!

With my research I have kind of settled on Moalboal and Dauin.

Blue Orchid Resort ... look at that reef! The Blue Orchid resort ? dive and beach resort in Moalboal, Cebu, Philippines, reviews and photos The Blue Orchid Resort (Moalboal, Cebu) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor. Viewed this video, which got me interested The Incomparable Diving of Moalboal. And, the best for last, snorkeling with Whale Sharks at Oslob Oslob Whale Shark Watching | Cebu Whale Watching | OslobWhaleSharks.com. Review on ScubaBoard.com http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...dumaguete-apoisland-dauin-moalboal-nov-3.html.

Also, Atmosphere Resort Atmosphere Resorts - Atmosphere Resorts and Spa Philippines. Reviews and photos Beautiful Resort - Review of Atmosphere Resort, Dauin, Philippines - TripAdvisor. Magazine article http://www.divetheblue.net/pdf/151artWiggs.pdf. And, Apo Island snorkeling Apo Island Marine Reserve - Apo Island - Reviews of Apo Island Marine Reserve - TripAdvisor.

You can access the Whale Sharks and Apo Island snorkeling from both resorts. We were considering 4 or 5 days at both resorts sometime in June 2013. Well, let me know if you found anything out … I can keep you updated as well.

Cheers! Sue

I just got back from El Nido and found the snorkeling fantastic. Lots of species, lots of color, beautiful water, all very accessible on the island-hopping tours you will surely do. The area the boats moor to are pretty jacked up, and the areas immediately around the boats will be full of lifejacketed/waterwinged dingbats but if you swim 25 yards clear it's all untouched and lovely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom