Snorkeling gear for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A couple of years ago I purchased a Speedo youth mask and snorkel set for my granddaughter. She's tried it the last couple of summers, but the snorkel is pretty short (just a regular tube type) and it is hard to position it to keep water out - she also had a hard time keeping a seal with the mouthpiece. The mask strap also had to be pretty tight to keep water from leaking in and her hair would get pulled by the strap - needless to say the whole setup was uncomfortable for her. Tried to get her to use them again earlier this summer - she is now 6 - and she had the same problems. Needless to say it was no fun for her to keep trying so I figured we'd try again next year.

TODAY - not next year - she used a TUSA youth pro series mask (w/strap cover) and dry snorkel set I purchased from Leisure Pro for about $50.00. What a difference! I could get her to inhale with the mask against her face to see that it would seal which the Speedo never did. Because the mask and snorkel was better quality and a better fit, it was easier to instruct her on its use. Within a few minutes she had it down. Spending 2 hours in the pool, 1 was spent swimming with the mask and snorkel - she easily did surface dives, came up, and kept going. One day we'll get to using a snorkel that she has to actually clear. She was most impressed with the big field of view she had compared to the swim goggles she always wears.

My take:

* If you have a young child that you would like to learn to snorkel, GET A GOOD MASK AND SNORKEL to begin with and not a cheaper youth set from someplace like Walmart.

* This grandpa was so excited about how well she did, I was going to look for fins for her - she has a mermaid fin that she sometimes tries to swim with now! But after more thought, since my pool will be closed in early October, fins now may not be a good idea since her foot will probably grow a few inches by next spring. May look at my LDS anyway!

That's great that you have a young mermaid on your hands. No sure how old she is, but we offer some excellent youth fins.

Los Ninos Freedive Fins for Kids and Small Women
mlnff_dtl.jpg

I went through the same with my sons. Cheapo set from walmart is now somewhere in their toyboxes. We went to a scuba shop and got a Scubapro youth set for 65CAD. They are now freediving non stop every time we go to the beach or a pool. People do not waste your money on cheap walmart junk.

If anyone is wondering, the MAKO Minimus mask has also been shown to fit children quite well. I have had several customers tell me that after loaning their mask to the kids, they ended up having to buy another one (for themselves) because the mask worked so well for the kids.

A mask and (basic) snorkel combo is under $55 on our site.
Minimus (aka Mini) Freedive Mask

Back
Top Bottom