Snorkeling Equipment Info (Newbie)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsnfunky

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Dear All,

I am a newbie and have never snorkeled or dived before.

I recently bought a Snorkel from a Department Store. I tried using it in the swimming pool to test the snorkel before taking it live.

I found that even after tightly putting the mask on my face, the water came inside the mask from all sides when I dive underwater.

The water goes out when I breathe out from my nose. I donot know anything about snorkeling but this does not look Ok.

My question is - Is it OK if the water comes in the mask? Further while snorkeling you breathe in from the mouth and should you breathe out from the nose. Any website detailing the process would also be helpful.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Regards,

It is not unusual for a mask to leak a little water, however, it should not stream inside to the extent that it distracts you. You have, however, identified the correct technique for expelling air from the mask. A slow exhalation from the nose (coupled with some pressure on the top frame of the mask) will push any water out of the bottom of the mask.

Firstly, fitting the mask tightly can cause the rubber skirt of the mask to distort - which creates channels for the water to leak through. Try fitting the mask with less tension in the straps. The mask should not leave an 'imprint' on your face.

Secondly, different masks fit different people. Find a mask that fits your face. A good rule-of-thumb when choosing the mask is to try it on, without the straps in place. Breathe in through your nose...and the mask should stick to your face. If it doesn't then you do not have an effective seal on the mask. Also have a look at the mask, when worn, in a mirror. There should be no obvious 'grooves' or 'creases' in the skin that would break the seal and allow water to enter.

Thirdly, there should not be anything present to break the seal of the mask. Typical things that can do this are loose hair (a long fringe) or a beard/mustache.

Sounds like you will be having some adventures soon.

A few pieces of advice:
1. Do not breath in or out through your nose with a mask on except when trying to clear your mask as posted above. Snorkeling is all about mouth breathing which some people find difficult.
2. When using your snorkel keep your tongue at the roof of your mouth - that way if you get any water in it will not go down your airway.
3. Do not have the mask too tight. This is the most common reason why my mask leaks. It should just be snug but not tight. This is a trial and error thing

Others may be able to give you more advanced advice but this is the basics.

Have fun on your adventure and welcome to Scubaboard!

Cheers

Thanks a ton guys. This will really help. Will go home today and try the mask once again as suggested by you.

Hi, here is what I would do:
At home, put your mask on without putting the straps on: if it fits, it should adhere to you face for a short time. If it does not adhere, fiddle around with it, but you might have a problem with fit.
In the pool, put the mask on with straps (not too tight), hold yor breath and put your face in the water. The mask should not leak (at least not strongly). If it did adhere to your face in the air, but leaks in water, fiddle with the tightness of your straps - you should be able to prevent the leaking because the mask fits.
After that put the snorkel on, and breath only through your mouth (you can expel some water from the mask by blowing out through your nose - as Devondiver said)
Have fun snorkeling!

Besides fiddling with the tightness of the straps try also different positions.

And also make sure your hair isn't caught between the mask seal and your face.

By Department Store, are you talking WalMart or equal? An ill fitting mask will not work no matter what you do. Put the mask on your face without the strap being on your head, breath in . Does it stay?
Do you have a dive shop locally where you can be fitted properly?

I bought it from a WalMart type store from Singapore.

I feel it is an ill fitting mask and I will buy another one from India (where I stay) from a professional scuba store.

Thanks a ton guys for your replies.

Keep in mind that a Walmart mask is not automatically a bad mask. I used to think that and then when my $80 mask broke and I was in a bind, I bought a U.S. Divers mask from Walmart and have used nothing else for the last year and half while completing over 200 dives. It's a great mask and it only costs about $10.

Masks Price has nothing to do with being the right mask for you, it correspondes with its quality.

1st check if the mask fits as writen in previous responses. dont use the strap, simply fit the mask on your face and inhale. If the mask doesnt fit tight on your face- try a different one.

if youre looking for quality masks, good for diving too, check for a tempered glass label , and make sure the skirts are made of silicone.

one last tip/question- do you have any facial hair? if you do it can cause water lickage to your mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom