snorkeling boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am Packing now for a trip to Maui on Wednesday, so I have done some checking on this. There are a number of boats that take both Scuba divers and Snorkelers, just check around. They usually say in the description. A few of the boats are "exclusive" to advanced certified scuba divers but you should be able to find something to accommodate both of you.

My wife doesn't dive or snorkel so the boat we are going out on allows passengers and 'swimmers". It limits my dive time to a single tank but at least provides options.

In Kona, most do allow snorkelers. Examples - Jacks Diving Locker, Kona Diving Co and Big Island Divers. They range from $55 to $80 with gear included.

On Maui, it is site dependent. Most boats to Molikini take both, and there are a bunch of snorkel only excursions there.
Don't overlook good snorkeling from shore on Maui- especially the Olawalu area, and the Ulua Bay area.
DivemasterDennis

slight hijack: Do snorkel/scuba boats in Hawaii have two drop areas or do they go to areas where both can be enjoyed (i.e. shallow)? The boat dives that I have been on would have been a bit less enjoyable if I had to watch from 60+ feet above. :zen:

One you can both do is the Kona Manta Night Dive - my niece and friend snorkeled above while her dad dove below. The Mantas will come up to the surface also since you'll have a light as well to attract plankton for them. They went with Kona Dive Co. but just about everybody offers both options.

Pride of Maui is a dual snorkel/dive boat since they moor inside Molokini. Snorkelers stay where they moor or swim in towards the island - divers go out into slightly deeper water. It's not the best dive but there's usually a few white tip sharks and lots of staghorn coral to look thru. I found the only stonefish I've ever seen off Maui there. Lots of fish if you're snorkeling.

I'm pretty sure Lahaina Divers accommodates snorkelers on their dive trips - exceptions might be the Molokini Backwall or Molokai Hammerheads as they're in deeper water. Snorkeling

Another option might be to hook up with Shaka Doug (Shaka Divers) or Maui Dreams Dive Co. as they're likely to shore dive sites that are also excellent snorkeling. Wailea Beach would be in that category, we dove it, then days later I snorkeled the same area - a lot of it starts in 10-15' closer to the point. Makena Landing nearby is a popular snorkel spot as well as a good dive slightly farther out. Ulua Beach is another good combo but a shallower dive - maybe 40' max. Lots of snorkelers there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom