Snorkeling Bahia Honda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjla67

Registered
Reaction score
The wife and I took our yearly vacation to the Florida Keys and spent a lot of time in our favorite key, Bahia Honda. Spent a lot of time underwater around the key exploring as we always do and I shot some video of just some of the creatures we came across while underwater.

We have been going here for 16 years and this trip was by far our most favorite for we explored more of it then we ever have and came across a wide variety of interesting subjects. Enjoy!

Last edited:
There sure are some great videos coming from Bahia Honda. My wife and I honeymooned in Marathon, but we didn't end up snorkeling in Bahia Honda. I do enjoy watching videos from the area. Maybe someday we will return and get to snorkel in the park ourselves.

Thanks. It's a great place to relax for the ecosystem there is very diverse and offers lots of different creatures and habitats to explore. Best of all it's all in less then 5 feet of water too!

lots of critters that are also seen at BHB.
Nice video. thanks for sharing

Thanks. It's a great place to relax for the ecosystem there is very diverse and offers lots of different creatures and habitats to explore. Best of all it's all in less then 5 feet of water too!
Does it get any deeper than 5 feet? is there any shore diving with scuba in Bahia Honda?

You can dive the channel, it gets to about 25' in the middle but it is a long swim. Shore dived it today from the island east of Bahia Honda. This time of year the channel gets a bit sharky.

Does it get any deeper than 5 feet? is there any shore diving with scuba in Bahia Honda?

I'd imagine it gets deeper the further away from the key you get or the Bahia channel is deep (told it's the deepest channel in the keys) but the current is very swift and loaded with sharks normally.

When you head south from Bahia Honda the water is shallow for about a half mile, west of it you have the channel where the water gets deeper (25' that's where the name comes from) and the current can be strong (6kts+ some times) and the sharks are big and numerous, it is not a beginner dive but fun.I grew up spearfishing it on snorkel gear and have swam across the channel many times It is one of my favorite shore dives in the Keys I do it about every other week.
It is the deepest natural channel east of Key West and before the bridges was a way for the smaller ships traveling from the east cost to the Gulf to cut about 4 days off the trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom