Snorkeler attacked and killed by Bull Shark at Seychelles while on honeymoon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to Google that one Tom. You get pretty deep on your posts.

johnny, is there's ANYONE here who will say scuba diving is NOT a dangerous sport?????....OF COURSE it is a dangerous sport. no doubt. i never said that it is an "insanely" dangerous sport.,there is big difference when you say the word insanely.... pls don't put words into my mouth, i am a valid member of this site, although i am not into diving YET, i am considering the possibility of entering into this hobby....i don't want to be discriminated because of the nature of my post...i would highly recommend that you mind your own business and quit sneaking on my account., stop being nosy...:no:

johnny, is there's ANYONE here who will say scuba diving is NOT a dangerous sport?????....OF COURSE it is a dangerous sport. no doubt. i never said that it is an "insanely" dangerous sport.,there is big difference when you say the word insanely.... pls don't put words into my mouth, i am a valid member of this site, although i am not into diving YET, i am considering the possibility of entering into this hobby....i don't want to be discriminated because of the nature of my post...i would highly recommend that you mind your own business and quit sneaking on my account., stop being nosy...:no:

Maybe people would be more inclined to consider you a "valid member of this site" if you would take a scuba class instead of pontificating about how dangerous a sport it for the vast majority of your twenty-some odd posts when you have never taken the first breath of compressed air ?:idk:

...but just a tip, if you want to scuba dive or snorkle on a shark infested body of water, you should wear a pair of black sock,,,yes ,sharks are afraid of swimmers wearing black socks....it's proven..try it.
:spit:

Code:
ok I was gonna try and keep my fat mouth shut here but I cant hold back the trigger finger so to speak.

I am honestly getting sick and tired of all these "hug a whale and a tree" folks I see on here.

Yes I believe that the beauty of our planet deserves to be preserved for the next generation.

No I dont believe that if something/someone poses a threat to the possibility of there even being a next generation that we should coddle it and moan and groan about it's feelings etc.

That goes for animals, people, rogue governments that go against the Constitution....  (Oops thats on a different forum)

Survival is unfortunately a way of life.

Adapt and overcome, or dont adapt and dont overcome.  It's as simple as that.

Sorry to put it so bluntly and to be so harsh but sometimes people (read "AquaMarine Peace, "OceanHerder", et. al.) need to remember that the lives of ORDINARY humans doing their jobs to try and raise their families are more important in the grand scheme of things than one friggin whale or shark.

This is the same mentality that some on this thread have already expressed, sorry but humans lives win EVERYTIME.  End of discussion.

Again sorry to be so blunt but figured I had to say it.

Now back on topic, it appears as though the Government has VOLUNTARILY taken a hit in its revenue for the time being. According to one of the articles I read they have suspended ALL swimming in the area indefinitely. (nobody swims, nobody visits, nobody boosts the economy through taxes and tips)

Code:
ok I was gonna try and keep my fat mouth shut here but I cant hold back the trigger finger so to speak.

I am honestly getting sick and tired of all these "hug a whale and a tree" folks I see on here.

Yes I believe that the beauty of our planet deserves to be preserved for the next generation.

No I dont believe that if something/someone poses a threat to the possibility of there even being a next generation that we should coddle it and moan and groan about it's feelings etc.

That goes for animals, people, rogue governments that go against the Constitution....  (Oops thats on a different forum)

Survival is unfortunately a way of life.

Adapt and overcome, or dont adapt and dont overcome.  It's as simple as that.

Sorry to put it so bluntly and to be so harsh but sometimes people (read "AquaMarine Peace, "OceanHerder", et. al.) need to remember that the lives of ORDINARY humans doing their jobs to try and raise their families are more important in the grand scheme of things than one friggin whale or shark.

This is the same mentality that some on this thread have already expressed, sorry but humans lives win EVERYTIME.  End of discussion.

Again sorry to be so blunt but figured I had to say it.

Now back on topic, it appears as though the Government has VOLUNTARILY taken a hit in its revenue for the time being. According to one of the articles I read they have suspended ALL swimming in the area indefinitely. (nobody swims, nobody visits, nobody boosts the economy through taxes and tips)

Hey, if we can screw up our eco system so bad that we end up going extinct ourselves, who cares, at least we have jobs right now!

I love eating fish, etc, but I think it's absolutely short sighted and ignorant to use the jobs excuse to continue harvesting animals in an inefficient and unsustainable way, when we absolutely 100% rely on these animals and a stable eco system to simply exist ourselves.

Sure, if they go slaughter a bunch of sharks in the area they'll feel like they did something and avenged those deaths, but they'll run the high risk of entirely missing the point of finding the actual reason why animals that don't normally feed on humans are suddenly killing humans in an area where shark attacks are uncommon... That would entail actually attempting to mitigate future attacks in a scientific way. Pressure on their food stocks? Pollution? Who knows, who cares, we killed a bunch of sharks and showed then who's boss!

Edit: Apologies for the abrasive tone above... I had a few pints of lager down range, and I love sharks :wink:

Sent from my Android

Last edited:
If someone in my family was killed by a shark, I would be so pissed, I would most likely go kill the shark myself, as if on a mission....this would be pure emotion, with no thought. The woman in this tragedy, has the right to feel this way...
Here on scubaboard, removed from the emotions of a direct family loss, we are supposed to be using rational thought over pure emotion.

We are supposed to know that with the proper behaviors, people will be fine around sharks. This is hardly a "tree hugger" issue... I have been a spearfisherman for over 30 years, and do not fit into the charicature suggested for the "don't kill the shark" crowd.

The bigger issue is Trophic Collapse, which begins with the Apex predators....Shark populations have already been decimated, to less than 90% of what they were in the 50's. If you had been on this beach where this latest attack occurred, in the early 50's, I expect there would have been 50 sharks where now there is only one....Human behavior would have had to be different. In Palm Beach Florida, back in the 70"s, there were huge shark populations---any reef dive you would see many big sharks.....If you jumped into the Palm Beach inlet, and shot one 20 pound grouper out of the big school surrounding you, within 2 minutes you would have 40 to 60 spinner sharks all around you, posturing. Today, not one could be found int he inlet.
Swimmers need specific knowledge of what to expect, and how to act, when they go into the ocean. When a non-diver, non-ocean person goes and snorkels on a reef at a resort, because the resort tells them it is SAFE, the ensuing shark attack occurrs because of a huge breakdown in common sense.
The Resort should have had experts to come up with appropriate guidlines for snorkelers, on what to expect, and how to act. Even simple concepts like enforced buddy system diving would have been far more effective, than just letting tourists believe there was nothing in the water of any concern. the bullshark would have approached 2 or 3 snorkellers much more cautiously than it would one snorkeller, and it's curiosity would be somewhat overcome by fear of the "herd" of humans, rather than the lone human. Having the Go Pro on a PVC pipe, as I suggested, would have been a simple way to increase the enjoyment of the dive with video memories for later, AND to offer a method to allow the bullshark to come in for its curiosity bump, without doing any damage whatsoever. But instead of using common sense, and a "plan", now the suggestion is to "knee jerk" and to kill all the wild beasts around the camp fire.
Reality check, we ALREADY killed most of the wild beasts, so much so, that the entire ocean eco-system is beginning to break down.
Thinking like the hotel's, is a big mistake.

I think pretty much all scuba divers (you should try it) believe that scuba is not a dangerous sport when compared with other sports in general. All sports involve some danger--many golfers are killed by lightning every year. Almost all divers would agree that scuba is pretty far down the list of dangerous sports.

I find it interesting that someone who has absolutely no personal experience in an activity can regularly go into a forum dedicated to that activity and tell the people who are experts in it that they don't know what they are talking about.

As for "Sneaking" into your account, there is not sneaking involved. If you click on a person's name in a post, you get an option to see what other posts he or she has made. No sneaking involved. Go ahead and do it for me and see what I have been up to. I have nothing to hide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom