Snorkeler attacked and killed by Bull Shark at Seychelles while on honeymoon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or, just look at the "large animal" interaction issue..... put some "cowboy" on a ranch in a study---with a herd of 100 horses, how many days will he go with "working with moving the herd around, etc) , until he gets stepped on and hurt, run into and hurt, thrown off one he was riding and hurt...etc...Yet, there is a VERY SPECIFIC behavioral understanding the cowboy or anyone needs to be around horses without big problems on day ONE. If you know how horses act, what scares them, what calms them down, how incredibly long their memories are, or how hard it is for them to actually process info/change thinking/no longer be afraid or to react a certain way for a certain thing ( big memory with small processing engine) ..then you can be quite safe around horses. Put some city kid that has never seen a horse in a pasture with a bunch of horses, and god only knows how long they would go without getting hurt, or running away :)

Or.... Take a friend that is huge, like a pro football player around 20 years old, and another friend about the same age but 155 pounds....they start needling each other, start wrestling around, and the 155 pounder will most likely get injured ACCIDENTALLY, as the big guy can easily hurt him even while trying NOT TO.

Sharks, are curious. They explore by tasting, typically, which is why it is smart to have the Go Pro on a pvc pipe when you expect to be around sharks.

You want them on camera, because it is cool video, and you want to allow them to bump into the pvc in their exploring, and to decide pvc does not taste interesting, or feel interesting, whatever they are curious about.

You don't try to bump them, or to hurt them, you just let them bump in to the pvc. It is easy to stay safe and get good video, all at the same time.

You would be MUCH SMARTER to be snorkeling with at least one buddy( resorts should PUSH this), for all the normal buddy reasons, and in this shark issue, to help make certain that no other sharks are behind you where you are not looking, and also curious.

With 99% of the "attacks", it is a gentle test bite, and the shark decides it is not on his menu, or not something to bite, almost immediately....Unfortunately for humans, unlike many other large marine life, a little nip DOES hurt us. So we need understanding and knowledge of what sharks are doing around us, and smart behaviors for us, and the right tools to maintain a good encounter.

I don't know why people are so resistant to trying something like this, and would rather just repeat a mantra about how unlikely it is that they will ever see a shark, while they are snorkeling. What would be the harm in getting prepared in this way? How could this not be "smarter" , than the present approach by resorts all over the world?

my goodness, almost everyday there is a scuba or watersports related death and accidents..

personally i would stay away from any shark specie, sharks are sharks,,they are viscious.,,you can't trust them.
...but just a tip, if you want to scuba dive or snorkle on a shark infested body of water, you should wear a pair of black sock,,,yes ,sharks are afraid of swimmers wearing black socks....it's proven..try it.

But don't wear sandals over those socks... Sharks are enraged by folks with poor fashion sense.

Personally, I loved the few dives I've had by sharks. None were feed dives, and only one was a specific shark dive. We dropped to 70 feet and drifted with the current over a sandy bottom as a couple of the bullsharks known to hang out in the area swam around us. Way cool!

Sent from my Android

my goodness, almost everyday there is a scuba or watersports related death and accidents..

personally i would stay away from any shark specie, sharks are sharks,,they are viscious.,,you can't trust them.
...but just a tip, if you want to scuba dive or snorkle on a shark infested body of water, you should wear a pair of black sock,,,yes ,sharks are afraid of swimmers wearing black socks....it's proven..try it.
I am surprised that no one commented on this misinformation.

The poster, Rovic, has been involved in some disharmony in several threads in the month he has been on ScubaBoard. I just scrolled through his 27 posts so far, and I believe that the theme of about half of them is that scuba is an insanely dangerous sport. If I recall correctly, he is not a certified diver. (I am willing to be corrected if wrong on that.) I believe he is serious about the black socks comment, but I hope readers already know it is not true.

I am surprised that no one commented on this misinformation....I believe he is serious about the black socks comment.
I thought to myself, "He can't be serious," and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I am surprised that no one commented on this misinformation.

The poster, Rovic, has been involved in some disharmony in several threads in the month he has been on ScubaBoard. I just scrolled through his 27 posts so far, and I believe that the theme of about half of them is that scuba is an insanely dangerous sport. If I recall correctly, he is not a certified diver. (I am willing to be corrected if wrong on that.) I believe he is serious about the black socks comment, but I hope readers already know it is not true.

John,
I just had a look a this "person's" posting history as well.....I don't think it passes the "smell test"....I don't think this is a person that has any intention of getting into diving, or of ever gaining any real diving knowledge.....There must be "some" agenda...I can't figure out what it would be yet, but whether this person is in the insurance world, the mass mailing adversitising world, or some other little fiefdom where they could somehow benefit at the "expense" of diving, it looks to wierd for this to be anything else....

And then the mindless shark-slaying was on.. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom