Snorkeler attacked and killed by Bull Shark at Seychelles while on honeymoon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My idea was for a camera that would also be protection...very different, when you think about it....the bigger issue, is that the resorts and your position as well, is that the best solution is to equip the public with "Ignorance"..... I think this is morally bankrupt.

I've always thought of myself as a 'moral' person and I'm always seeking to refine that morality so I really want to understand your shark-protection proposal.

The resorts are guilty because:

They don't actively warn people about the possibility of shark attacks in the ocean.
They don't enforce a buddy system on snorkelers.
They don't give people cameras-on-a-stick to fend off sharks.

Because their market is tourists that are ignorant to the marine life population and behaviors located by the resort.....The Resort "should" have local knowledge of this, and has a responsibility to pass this on. Instead, they chose to tell tourists there are no sharks, and not to worry.
Resorts catering to snorkelers, are catering to people typically with almost zero skills in the ocean, and virtually no knowledge of what safe behaviors would be....Dive Charter boats, recognizing this in a passenger/new diver, go out of their way to educate, protect and help...it appears the hotel did almost the opposite.

From what I have been reading lately--especially in the Sharm case--resorts should be posting messages that describe their normal policies and their motivation. Here is an example that they might use:

In order to increase the enjoyment of those who wish to see the majestic beauty of marine life up close, we regularly feed sharks so that they will come in close and be seen clearly. Snorkelers are especially likely to enjoy such close encounters, and we are sure that they will agree that an occasional nip is a risk well worth taking in order to provide this benefit to our customers.

It is sad, but what will happen is the fisherman will likely kill every shark in the area. You can talk till you are blue, but the local authorities have taken action.

That said there is little else to be done other than to sign a rather useless protest that is not going to do anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom