Diver Killed By Shark Attack Tasmania Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When you get in the water, you enter a completely different food chain, one where you are not the apex predator. Understand that fact, and make appropriate arrangements.

Don't let the sharks get too comfortable with humans by feeding them. Let's keep the space between them and us!

Don't let the sharks get too comfortable with humans by feeding them. Let's keep the space between them and us!
I don't think anyone was feeding it. From stories in local media, the shark had been hanging around there for a few days, came close to a few divers, but didn't attack them. Then attacked this guy. His daughter was diving with him, but returned to the surface earlier. She went back when he didn't surface, saw the attack and raised alarm.

Nothing to suggest anyone was feeding or trying to attract the shark.

Sounds like he was on a hookah rig of some sort.

From the above article (my bold):
"Boaters attended the area and they pulled up a male using the air hose he was attached to but unfortunately he was fatally injured," he said.

Bob

Are folks not reading the article? A recreational scallop diver was killed.

Emphasis on scallop diver - anytime one is hunting there is a chance for a shark to be a wee bit more curious than "normal". More than likely the scallops were enough of a curiosity.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of off-topic and/or disrespectful posts have been deleted. Someone died. Please familiarize yourself with the special rules for this forum before you post. Repeats (in this or other threads of this forum) could result in a removal of posting privileges. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

I wouldn't equate scallop gathering with spearing fish and the attendant blood and thrashing. This is just a tragedy, pure and simple and I really don't see how the diver's actions may have contributed to this. Its one of those incredibly rare unprovoked bites on scuba divers. There was some video of a great white sighted off of Vero Beach Florida a while ago by some divers, and that shark was also aggressively approaching divers, who were spearfishing but had not actually speared anything yet. They had to hunker down in the rocks and actually jab the shark with a spear (to their great credit, they did not shoot and kill the shark) to make it back off, and were forced to leave the water because it stayed around. The video was pretty scary. This is also consistent with the reports from the other divers in Australia who thankfully escaped what sounds like a very near miss.

I have never seen a great white but it seems like they play by different rules and with much more aggression. Most other sharks I have seen (even bulls and tigers) steer pretty clear of people, except maybe for a swim-by. But I don't think I would push my luck by chasing after a great white sighting outside of a cage.

I am no fan of shark feeding, but I just don't think that played any role here.

Are folks not reading the article? A recreational scallop diver was killed.

Emphasis on scallop diver - anytime one is hunting there is a chance for a shark to be a wee bit more curious than "normal". More than likely the scallops were enough of a curiosity.

How is gathering scallops a cause to be attacked by a shark?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or does it seem like the frequency of divers inadvertently crossing paths with white sharks have increased over the past few years?

I don't recall hearing much about divers running across white sharks (outside of shark dives) from 2005-2010. Since around 2011 or so, there have been several reports of divers running into white sharks (Molikini crater, Duane wreck, ghost net dive in SoCal and Pt Lobos in Norcal are just a few that come to mind) and in fact, there is even video proof for most of these reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom