snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....duplicate post monster

I can't believe this thread is still going on ... exactly how much can one say about a little plastic tube? If you find it useful, use it ... if you don't, don't.

That's all, really, that needs to be said ... the rest of this stuff is just ...

pissingcontest.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:lol: apparently a LOT can be said about a little piece of plastic tube:shocked2: Much of it is highly entertaining!:rofl3::rofl3::popcorn:

Hey, is this a dead horse? I conveniently have a stick!

Seriously and back on topic: I do a lot of shore dives that require a 5-15 minute surface swim over shallows that are often uneven and quicker to swim over than walk on. These often have boulders or coral heads a foot or so below the surface that divers ram into with their tanks while swimming on their backs, so you have to be face down to either thread your away around or know when to suck in your gut and go over. Also, this being Guam - there's always something interesting to look at on the bottom even when you don't have to worry about suddenly beaching yourself. It would just be silly of me to routinely cut my dive time to maintain an air reserve for surface swims that I do all the time when I have unlimited air available through a short plastic tube. I've always had a snorkel attached to my mask during dives and don't expect to ever take it off.

I have also twice descended with my snorkel in my mouth, but I consider that bonus practice for airway control, reg sweep and reg purge. :wink:

Last edited:
Hey, is this a dead horse? I conveniently have a stick!

Seriously and back on topic: I do a lot of shore dives that require a 5-15 surface swim over shallows that are often uneven and quicker to swim over than walk on. These often have boulders or coral heads a foot or so below the surface that divers ram into with my tanks while swimming on their backs, so you have to be face down to either thread your away around or know when to suck in your gut and go over. Also, this being Guam - there's always something interesting to look at on the bottom even when you don't have to worry about suddenly beaching yourself. It would just be silly of me to routinely cut my dive time to maintain an air reserve for surface swims that I do all the time when I have unlimited air available through a short plastic tube. I've always had a snorkel attached to my mask during dives and don't expect to ever take it off.

I have also twice descended with my snorkel in my mouth, but I consider that bonus practice for airway control, reg sweep and reg purge. :wink:

Most convincing argument for a snorkel I have read! It also gave me a great idea of the type of diving you do you lucky person! If I was diving in that environment I would use a snorkel too.. lol but stow it once I descended. I hate it attached to my mask!

A question for those who use a looped long hose to donate their primary. Would the snorkel attached to your mask impede the process? This is a serious question as I have a fairly long hose on my occy but not long enough to loop it so I have no experience with how well the looped donation works:)

Most convincing argument for a snorkel I have read! It also gave me a great idea of the type of diving you do you lucky person! If I was diving in that environment I would use a snorkel too.. lol but stow it once I descended. I hate it attached to my mask!

A question for those who use a looped long hose to donate their primary. Would the snorkel attached to your mask impede the process? This is a serious question as I have a fairly long hose on my occy but not long enough to loop it so I have no experience with how well the looped donation works:)

Yes, a snorkel can impede the donation of a long hose wrapped behind the head (Hog looped), that's why many people never use them.
The hose can get hung up on the snorkel when pulling up and over the head and dislodge a mask.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets see 40 years of diving, I use my snorkel on every dive almost 2000 dives now. Once in all that time I needed to share air with my dive partner and that was before octos and long hoses. So I'm sure which one is more valuable... to me anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom