snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I stated the bicycle is obsolete for its intended purpose.

And calling a snorkle obsolete is not one of the stupedist comments made but instead one you view as stupid. it was a comment stated as a view of opinion. But hey we are all free to see things our own way and thats what makes America so great :). Sorry you dont agree.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the history of the bicycle is that it was an inhancement to walking. And as I rode my bicycle to work this morning (a 20-minute commute through and around gridlocked traffic), I could only smile at its efficiency compared to the car :).

In a similar fashion, the snorkle is just as efficient at doing what it was designed to do as it has even been; namely, allowing a diver to breathe on the surface while face down in the water. Many experienced scuba divers don't find this ability very useful; other experienced scuba divers do find it useful. For me, having a snorkle available has been useful often enough that I choose to carry one.

However, I like full-bore snorkles which do not restrict air flow, so I've never found a foldable one that I like. And I do not like to wear the snorkle attached to my mask all the time (where it sometimes gets in the way and becomes easier to lose). Therefore, my only dilemma (similar to the question of "Do you carry a spare mask?") was to find a way to carry it without using a large pocket. My solution is to keep it strapped next to the DSMB, in a butt pouch along with a spare mask (the mask formerly used to get left on the boat). Absolutely necessary? Of course not. Nice to have? For me, yes.

Glad we live in America--where our opinions are still free!!!!

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the history of the bicycle is that it was an inhancement to walking. And as I rode my bicycle to work this morning (a 20-minute commute through and around gridlocked traffic), I could only smile at its efficiency compared to the car :).

The way Gas prices are looking now it may be something to consider. Economicly and for health reasons alone would warrant it. And yes if you live close enough to ride one then it would be more efficient.

Out of respect to the thread though LOL I am done with this conversation of the bicycle. Sorry about the hi jack.

A bicycle is not obsolete! of course if you can't recognize that simple concept, then it is no wonder you would classify a snorkel as obsolete.

Calling a snorkel obsolete is really one of the stupidest comments I have read on this board. It may not be needed or appropriate for certain conditions, but it sure as hell ain't obsolete.

I hate bicycles.......and snorkels! They are both always in the way. :wink:

Glad we live in America--where our opinions are still free!!!!

I'm glad you live in America too! :coffee:

I agree. I wish people would just read other peoples opinion and just accept it without getting so agro about it.

Noobs can then just read the useful info and easily conclude that snorkels are useless and should be piffed! :stirpot::stirpot:

Just noticed this post and had to say that its well said indeed! Snorkels are a valuable assett when one wants to snorkle but other then that you can put your name on them that way if someone finds your gear bag while your diving they know who it belongs too.

Buddy? Divers.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Like calling someone Mate, just because you can't remember their name.

for hitting your buddy over the head with!?!?!

for blowing air into a cray hole?!

for jumping into the water for a quick snorkel between dives??

for lifting up that rock where a nasty animal might live!?!??

umm im stuck after that!!!

Look at bicycles. For their true intended purpose and reason they were invented they are now obsolete as cars provide faster and more comfortable commuting. However obsolete they are they still have a purpose in excerising and also trail riding and those who can not drive for what ever reason.

I think this is extremely location dependent. I can do any point-to-point in my town faster on my road bike than in my car, especially during rush hour. Work to the harbor for me was 40 minutes in the car but a little over 20 on the bike. In terms of efficiency, a car idles at a red light; on my bicycle I'm just standing there. Additionally, it cost me $100/month to park a car a few blocks from work, but bike parking was right out front, and free. Finally, the purchase price and running costs of a car are quite high compared to a bicycle. One year of not driving probably paid for an entire lifetime of cycling.

I'm not going to claim that everyone everywhere should ride a bike instead of driving, but in my situation it was far more efficient, faster, comfortable and cheaper.

ZKY,

Well said!!

In New England we have lobster trap lines that we have to contend with that keep getting caught in the tank valves. These lines are right below the surface where they get caught in the valve if you are swimming on your back and not paying attention to these lines.

It is pathetic indeed when so called dive professionals resort to personal attacks and belittling opinions and experiences of others who have a different point of view or have different experiences. It would appear that the vocal minority seems to think that they are right just by speaking louder to suppress thoughts that are very different from theirs. It also seem that some people object to snorkels not because there is anything inherently wrong with snorkels but rather it is because most of these folks have poor skin diving skills and were not trained properly in snorkel use. It is easier for them to attack and dismiss other people’s thoughts than to get back to basics and learn proper skills. It seems that in the wake of some agencies' rush to certify the greatest number of divers in the shortest time possible, the watered down training has created a generation of divers who are unappreciative of basic skills and are unable to see the benefits they can get from these basic skills. They are willing to blame the snorkel for inhaling water when the seas few inches high not their inability to use the snorkel properly. (I have been in rough seas with waves that have white caps and I still managed to use the snorkel no problem. Actually never thought much of it.)

I am very amazed when a so called dive instructor/leader would actually come out in the open and insist that snorkels are bad just because he/she can’t tell the difference between a snorkel and his BC LPI just because he/she is using thick gloves. I have dove in the frigid waters of Maine and Massachusetts in December through February and have used all types of gloves, mitts and even the really thick Viking dry gloves and I have never confused the BC LPI with the snorkel or any other piece of equipment. I have learned to know where my equipment is by touch and know what is what without having to be able to see it. I would NEVER jump in the water if I am unable to tell the difference between different pieces of equipment or, worse, can’t tell the difference between a freaking snorkel and my BC LPI!!! Again, this illustrates that the rushed lobotomized training people have been getting is actually deep rooted and is affecting people’s understanding and appreciation of the value of basic skills to the point where “basic skills” are now perceived to be unsafe skills (if you can't do it or master it, just say that it is unsafe) just to hide one's shortcomings.

It is indeed ... and it's the height of irony that you then go on to use personal attacks and belittling opinions to illustrate your point ... :shakehead:

Do you truly believe that tossing words like "lobotomized" into the discussion makes you come off looking like a professional ... :idk:

I can't believe this thread is still going on ... exactly how much can one say about a little plastic tube? If you find it useful, use it ... if you don't, don't.

That's all, really, that needs to be said ... the rest of this stuff is just ...

pissingcontest.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is indeed ... and it's the height of irony that you then go on to use personal attacks and belittling opinions to illustrate your point ... :shakehead:

Do you truly believe that tossing words like "lobotomized" into the discussion makes you come off looking like a professional ... :idk:

I can't believe this thread is still going on ... exactly how much can one say about a little plastic tube? If you find it useful, use it ... if you don't, don't.

That's all, really, that needs to be said ... the rest of this stuff is just ...

pissingcontest.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with your post, Bob, but I think you uploaded the wrong pic. That is obviously a tech open water course of some sort. I only see one poodle jacket, no snorkels and most are wearing harnesses...

Back
Top Bottom