Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a snorkel for snorkeling. When I decide to descend I can no longer use a snorkel because snorkels don't work under water.
Of course you can't use a snorkel for diving, silly people, they only work on the surface.

I snorkel out to my dive spot, remove the snorkel and switch to scuba. When I am done with scuba and on my way back in a use the snorkel again.
There is nothing that says both can't be employed at different times on the same dive outing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I was required for my OW I wore my snorkle. I have a mares snorkle on my snorkle mask when snorkling and a foldable one in my bc pocket.I just don't like the darn thing hanging there flapping around able to hook up and being the one piece of equipment I can't stow away neatly.

It's a basic piece of safety equipment that some divers don't like to use because it "doesn't look cool".

What wouldn't you consider a piece of safety equipment? Speedos? They protect you from the chafing of boardshorts, but wearing boardshorts makes you look way cooler.

I think anyone who doesn't wear a snorkel because it doesn't look cool should get their head examined. There are extremely valid reasons to either wear or not wear a snorkel, but "safety device" and "look cool" don't register.

It is not survival gear. It is not life support equipment. It is not safety equipment. It is not required.

There may be one or two places where a snorkel is helpful. I haven't found those places yet. When I do, I'll take a snorkel diving. Until then the snorkel stays home.

It is not survival gear. It is not life support equipment. It is not safety equipment. It is not required.

There may be one or two places where a snorkel is helpful. I haven't found those places yet. When I do, I'll take a snorkel diving. Until then the snorkel stays home.
As I said in another thread you need to be careful what you claim in absolutes:

The one piece of equipment, after my mask and fins that I'd want in an emergency is my snorkel. Mouth to snorkel breathing not only serves as a pocket mask, but is also, hands down, the fastest way to transport a victim in the water whilst providing rescue breaths.

I'm not carrying a snorkel for the teensy tiny chance I have to do a rescue with a long surface swim so I can shorten it from 15 minutes to 14 minutes. If I'm alone, and it's long enough for that to make a difference, there is a decent chance the best thing to do is just haul you in ASAP and it's moot. If I'm not alone, one provides propulsion and one does breaths. Not real useful there either.

I also remember that technique coming up in my training. I can't remember the reason why but we were advised not to do it.

Perhaps there is a reason to carry a snorkel, but that one doesn't convince me.

I use a snorkel for the following reasons.

1. It was required piece of equipment for PADI certification.

2. in Laguna Beach, CA you must have a snorkel while diving from the beach or get a written invitation to the policman's ball.

3. I like to snorkel with my kids while on vacation and not diving.

4. I do find it useful for those long suface swims to conserve gas for actually being underwater.

5. Use one if YOU like to use one, not because everyone else is or is not using one.

fun and safe diving everyone.

Hey Snorkles are great. You go under and fill the tube up with water then you surface and blow purge the snorkle. This is a great show for boats passing by because a large enough diver may actually resemble a humpback :wink:

Anyway I use mine occasionaly in choppy water and also sometimes when I know I may be on the water for extended periods of time. (Cattle boats where they want you to go down as a group with lots of divers.)

With most of the things I'm passionate about, I am open to and hopeful that someone will prove me wrong about something I do. That's because I'm passionate about learning and improving more than what I'm actually doing. I hear people say just in case. And my response is just in case of what. I routinely make surface swims of 75-100 yards. When I get tired or bored, guess what, I go diving, surprise. I dive in one of the big lakes where the waves are routinely 4 ft or more in the afternoon. I've been blown off the reef in Cozumel away from everybody and everything. I've surfaced off Darwins Arch in rough water and had to wait for everyone else to load up on the panga while I was drifting out in to the blue. I've been lost at night when the dive master wrote on his slate "your turn!". Never once did I think a snorkel would have been helpful. I've talked with people who were left in the water 18+ hours while their live aboard drifted off. Guess what, not one said wish I had a snorkel. If you CHOOSE to be a snorkeler, good for you. And using a snorkel for rescue breathing in the water, I call BS. Id like to see somebody due that on land let alone in the water. I'm listening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom