Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any hangups about snorkels like some people who seem to find it their duty to bash and belittle those who use snorkels.. I have a very neutral attitude towards them and see them as a very valuable tool when the need arises.

As you say, a snorkel is a tool, just like any other piece of diving equipment. I mostly dive in quarries (calm waters) & caves (overhead),... with a little ocean vacation diving here & there, so snorkels are pretty useless in most of those cases. I will wear one because I must for classes & I will carry one if I am somewhere where there might be rough water or a long surface swim. That saying that those who use snorkels to make up for poor diving skills is a bunch of horse feathers:shakehead:. If I have a long surface swim, I want to conserve my air so I can enjoy a longer dive, it has nothing to do with my diving skills. I don't bash those who use it or don't use it. Personal preference in my opnion.

I wear a snorkel if there's a lot of wind chop or if I'm not wearing a BC. I'm not comfortable wearing a snorkel and a longhose together, although I've been assured it can be safely done.

Snorkels are great for snorkeling.

Yea I've never worn a snorkel (except when snorkeling), and i dont think I ever will during scuba diving.

On the other hand, If someone wants to wear a snorkel, that's their choice...and there's nothing wrong with that

There is no right or wrong when it comes to using a snorkel in scuba diving

It's a basic piece of safety equipment that some divers don't like to use because it "doesn't look cool".
Plus when diving in large groups in choppy conditions it let's you economize air while waiting for the group to form to descend.
Plus a lot more comfortable when trying to get back on board when the engine is running (in the face of hot exhausts) in very rough conditions that would risk a back injury if you try to climb the ladder fully equipped (so no option to use the regulator on the ladder).
Plus if weather conditions have deteriorated a lot during the dive and you come up facing a long surface swim in bad weather.

Some divers come up with a litany of rationales about why they do not have a snorkel. In most cases, when you examine those rationales, most of them boil down to the divers not being comfortable using a snorkel.

I don't use a snorkel when I'm on surface supplied or when I'm diving out of an underwater habitat. If I cave dove I suspect I'd not use one there either. Otherwise my snorkel is on my mask strap, each and every dive.

A lot of divers on this board substitute greater gas supply for a snorkel, I don't.

I use mine for snorkeling. In six years and almost 1000 dives, I have yet to have an occasion where I wanted my snorkel while diving. I did wish I had had one when the pod of dolphins came by the RIB AFTER the dive!

There has been a recent thread somewhere and probably several others on snorkels. I fall into the category of "I like it for choppy seas and to conserve air on a surface swim (ei., if I want to look at the bottom)". Yes, on occasion it does get in the way. Some like them, some don't. It's just what each diver prefers. Don't think there is a true right or wrong, but you'll surely get a lot of opinions.

You mean we really need them?!!! :confused::confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom