Snorkel or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altitudemike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently started lake diving without my snorkel on my mask. I had realized I never use it. I either dive from shore or from & to my boat. I always keep my reg in my mouth until out of the water. Just cuirous if anyone else dives without theirs?

Scuba and snorkeling are two different sports, there may be times when one mixes with the other but for the most part they are separate activities.

If I know I'll need (ie. big surface swim etc.) then I'll take it.. But otherwise it stays in the bag.

As a safety precaution I always have mine with me. I rarely use it. But what if you have a problem and run out of air. Or if you end up on the surface farther away from the boat or shore that you anticipated and you don't have the air to make it back?

TOM

REII:
As a safety precaution I always have mine with me. I rarely use it.Or if

I consider the snorkel a safety concern. It is always in the way. I only used one in my open water class. Once I started diving without "eyeballing" instructors I ditched it. I don't even own a snorkel right now.

REII:
But what if you have a problem and run out of air.

A snorkel is going to do you no good if you run out if air. Give the OOA signal to your buddy or do an ESA or whatever but once you get to the surface you will be able to breathe with or without the snorkel.

REII:
you end up on the surface farther away from the boat or shore that you anticipated and you don't have the air to make it back?
Just because you are further from shore or the boat does not mean anything. do a surface swim. It may suck but at least you are not risking an OOA at depth.

In summary the only reason you need a snorkel is because someone told you to use it, or if you are in fact snorkeling. Other than that if you are doing a surface swim lie on your back and enjoy the scenery or talk to your buddy.

Beg to differ, long shore swims like an OOA in seas...have a snorkel. (Current comes up, dive plan is not as expected, etc)

Diving for a bouy to clip off a boat...better with a snorkel.

Lake? maybe not.... can't you conserve tank air when shore diving by using it until descent?

This is a much-discussed topic. Like many divers, I wore one during the first 50-60 dives, it was okay except when heavy current make it pull too hard on my mask. But after looking at the many forums about it and more experienced divers who didn't wear them, I got a foldable and keep it in my pocket. I don't miss it, and have used it only rarely, typically when I got lost, was getting low on air, surfaced, had to swim to the boat, and for some reason wanted to keep an eye on someone or something below while swimming. Otherwise, I can do the swim on my back.

Back
Top Bottom