Snorkel Anyone ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"can cause you to loose your mask or flood your mask."
had this happen in Hawaii last year...when i would put my head back(or up in horizontal position) snorkle was on shoulder (flipped upside down on quick release, and was kinda behind my shoulder pressing on upper back)and would let water in...
picture it- i'm swimming along and look up(at turtle) ....a little water comes in
so, i look up and blow(to purge mask) ....a little more water comes in
i look up,hold top of mask and blow.... MORE water comes in
i stop, look up , and blow .... full flood at 50'.
i stop, breathe and wonder "where is all this water coming from?" (getting panicky feeling)
my buddy (ya, buddy!) sees me, comes to help as i'm struggling to take snorkle off( finally figured it out) , she pulls snorkle from my shoulder and straightens it out, and off we go.... (i removed it mid dive and kept it under velcro on bc)
haven't worn one diving since
btw- that was my FIRST open water dive (after certification) and it could have been ugly, as i was feeling panicky (first thought=swim up!) so i guess i've had a "lesson learned"
-me

Sorry, If I'm not diving with students, snorkel is left on shore:D . Just don't tell the other instructors....... They'll say I'm not setting a good example......:shakehead

Why snorkel?
If you want to whack a diver, fins is the one to use.:eyebrow:

I always use one when shore diving in Wellington, there are lots of rocks to navigate around and it is often not an option to take a compasss bearing and swim on your back. On boats including in the tropics, I usually have it with me too. In choppy conditions waiting for buddy to get ready to descend I prefer to use it rather than waste air or risk a mouthfull of brine. I have taken to wearing it on the opposite side from my slow inflator to avoid confusion.
Alison

i found snorkels actually useful when swimming to outer reefs from the beach other than that and local law i would ditch the snorkel.

Just when I am teaching, or taking a class that mandates a snorkel, I hunt through the gear and stick it on. Otherwise, no snorkel.

When Sammi, my daughter (10 years old at the time), passed her open water course and got her temp c-card, the first thing she said to me was, "Dad, can I take off the snorkel now?"

I said, "you're a certified diver now, that's your decision." That snorkel just sort of vanished.

Jeff

Ya know…there’s a lot of to snorkel or not threads.
I have many, I snorkeled before I dove. Actually diving with an attached snorkel is easy for me to see is not optimal. Having a snorkel for snorkeling is also obvious. I snorkel before and after diving. Therefore I’m breaking down and getting another bloody snorkel. That packs up in a tiny ball for the pocket and wildcard can tease me all he wants to about the head bangy thingy.

I can't believe some people advocate diving without a snorkel... This is a basic safety requirement, and if an accident happens could make the difference between life and death!

* it is useful for shore entry and exit to avoid wasting air during surface swim
* it is useful for boat entry to avoid wasting air while waiting for everyone to be ready
* it is useful for boat exit to be more confortable while waiting to get back on the boat
* it is essential in choppy waters whenever you have to be at the surface
* it can save your life if for some reason you are lost at sea, or a long way from the boat/shore
* it can save somebody else's life during rescue operations

I strongly recommend getting a simple basic snorkel, with no purge valve and no splashguard. There are few good reasons for that:

* this allows you to perform emergency breathing through the snorkel during rescue operation, while still performing a comfortable pull
* if you are into freediving, a simple snorkel can be emptied simply by looking up and blowing gently in the last few meters of ascent
* purge valves fail; it has happened to me, and it's not fun swimming a few hundred meters while trying to block water from entering your snorkel with your thumb. I know a few people who have had the same problem

IMHO, a snorkel is a more important safety device than a BC: a BC will allow to float at the surface, but not to breathe easily, whereas with a snorkel, you can assume a position that allows your body to float naturally and avoid fatigue by letting your head rest while breathing easily.

Granted a snorkel attached to your mask can sometimes get trapped and cause mask flooding. So what? It's easy to readjust and clear you mask, and if a simple incident like this cause you to panick, you'd better get more practice in emergency underwater skills. In tricky situation where trim is essential, removing the snorkel from your mask can be useful, but make sure you always carry it with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom