Snorkel a necessity on open water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BroadSkyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody! :) I'm new to the forum. I've been loving all of the informative threads and articles I've been reading here. I'm really learning a lot. Here's my question. When I went for my open water certification dives with my instructor, he insisted we all wear our snorkels for the two dives. All of the pool training I had it on as well, standard procedure I'm sure. We were drift diving off of Palm Beach Fl, and my first two dives went great! After a few weeks, I went to the same charter for a Saturday morning dive trip with my buddy. Two more drift dives. What I noticed was that hardly anybody used a snorkel for the dives, maybe 1 or 2 people out of 12 people. Even my buddy didn't use one, he's been on many dives. I asked him while we were getting ready, "no snorkel?" He said, "no, it just gets in the way". So call it kind of peer pressure, I did my two dives that day with no snorkel. Now I'm comfortable in the ocean, and I wasn't nervous about not having it at the surface, so I didn't feel like I made a stupid decision not to wear it. The two dives went really well, and it was kind of nice not having the snorkel hanging off of my face mask strap swinging around in the current. So I'm wondering how many people here go with or without a snorkel during dives? Drift diving, or anchor diving. Beach entry dives I always wear mine. Rough surf. Do some of you believe that it's a safety matter, and you should always dive with a snorkel no matter what? I can see getting abandoned during a dive, then it would definitely be nice to have one. Maybe I could stuff one in my BCD pocket for safe keeping? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help. Stay wet!

I was on a dive charter (can't remember where) and heard the captain say he pays more attention to the divers with snorkels (inferring they are typically new divers)

I haven't worn one since dive #6 and never missed it.

I never use one whilst diving, they don't work very well at 20M :D

I used one for many dives, then abandoned attaching it to my mask and used to tuck into my knife straps on my leg, then it disappeared into my dive bag somewhere, I occasionally come across it when clearing things or looking for something else.

When fixed to a mask it really does get in the way when taking photographs and could be an entanglement hazard too.

No, not a necessity. Apparently, it's a requirement to have one on a PADI course. But it's not a requirement to be wearing it. I know many DMs/instructors who have a roll-up one that they keep in their pocket to fulfil said requirement.

I carried a snorkel when I was a new diver in the early 60s. I still do, 50 years of diving later. This is a contentious topic, but my personal experience suggests a folding snorkel tucked away is a good idea. I've had to make long surface swims to boats that have drifted away perhaps half a dozen times. This averages out to about once every 8 years, but this kind of thing is not infrequent on drift dives.

The dive charter captain is a fool, and unfortunately not atypical.

I was a snorkeler long before I began scuba diving, and I'll probably continue snorkeling when scuba is beyond my ability. Snorkels, the simple uncomplicated unvented wide bore type are splendid examples of the aesthetic and functional perfection that can be found in simplicity.

Just spend two weeks diving where the operator required all to have snorkels. In the water customers were expected to have either the reg or snorkel in mouth. One customer complained - they were given their money back and told to find another operator to die with.

I've been wearing one for 35 years, never got in the way and most useful when waiting for the boat pick-up in a force 4.

i always wear one-even ice diving to get my face used to the cold water
a lot of the people who complain about wearing them have those cheesy,floppy,junky snorkles
i wear a somewhat rigid one with a turn out mouthpiece
kinda like the old j style
to each their own,but i'd rather have it than not
have fun
yaeg

Not necessary at all. Some people like to have them on the surface and that's fine. See what you prefer. I don't see the point. Even if I have to swim I find it more comfortable to swim on my back. And if the sea is really ruff, the regulator is a better option.

Just spend two weeks diving where the operator required all to have snorkels. In the water customers were expected to have either the reg or snorkel in mouth.

What's that operator just to be aware and never booking with them?

i always wear one-even ice diving

Always great to have a dangling snorkel in overhead environment.

I never wear one when diving. If I am in a situation where there is a chance I might have an extended stay on the surface for some unexpected reason, I carry a flexible one rolled up in a pocket.

It is indeed required for instruction, at least by PADI. I wear one when teaching the required skills, and I carry one in a pocket on other dives. The students must have one, too, and I give them the same option.

I have a like dislike affair with snorkels, at times they are very usefull at other times they are PITA.
PADI says you have to have one. All the instructors I have seen wear one when teaching classes.
If you dive a long hose a snorkel is almost impossible to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom