Snips, shears or a Ztype knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
I am looking to add another cutting tool to my equipment and I was wondering, should I go with something like the Dive-Rite sea snips, OMS shears or maybe a Z-type knife.

I currently have a BC knife, but think that adding another cutting tool might be a good idea.

I know its not a big $$ item, but whay not ask around? I don't want to find myself with something that I am not using.

Thanks.

Ari :confused:

:yellow: I would definatly go for the sheer. more cutting power.
:yellow:

I wear sea snips high up. On the shoulder strap of my wetsuit if working without a BC, or on the BC if on scuba.
I usually also wear a knife on my left inside calf. This way I should be able to reach one or the other in most any situation and I can choose the best one for any given cutting job.

michael

Got to agree with folks on the shears. These AND a good knife will cut almost anything you need to cut u/w. Shears, (I'm told), will even cut stainless steel leader material!
Norm

But do you refer to the EMT kind shears, you can get from Dive-Rite or Zeagle for example, or the OMS, which are far more heavy duty (or at least look like it)?

Ari :)

Yes, they are one and the same as EMT shears. I have 2 pairs, one cheap pair i got for $3 and a nice pair from Gerber that was $25.

Either pair works just fine, i find the Gerber pair last longer because they are SS vs. the cheap metal of the $3 pair.

TMD

The Sea Snips have the advantage of oversize handles so they are still easy to use with gloves on.

I don't know how long they last,,, yet.

michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom