sneakers with fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I traded my rock boots for high topped tennis shoes with my DUI drysuit. I bought jet fins (which I love) for wet suit diving and didn't want to buy another pair for the drysuit.

I just have to be careful to pull the foot up tight so I don't get that painful toe squeze when I put the tennis shoes on. If you do this buy shoes that are 2 - 3 sizes larger than your size and wide width.

I've never tried them with a wet suit. Might be a good idea when I go snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez. That way I don't have to pack booties to go with my fins. But since I have booties and they pack smaller, I think I'll take them.

Last edited:
The idea of wearing sneakers with fins dates back at least to 1962, when Lil Borgeson and Jack Speirs' book "Skin and Scuba Diver" appeared with the image below on page 32:

sneakers2.jpg

So sneakers can be worn with full-foot fins whose foot pockets are spacious enough to accommodate them.

I dove CTs with a wetsuit for quite a while. I used a good pair of polypro socks under them. They worked fine. I have also used them over dry suit socks. I'm amazed at how well the glue in the shoes holds up to being wet.

This is how I dive in the tropics with my 3m wetsuit. Works very well, great for walking on rocky beaches. Issue is it takes a a few minutes to lace up, why; you need a decent water sock underneath to prevent some sand from getting in and causing sand burs on you feet. Do not use white socks, sand gets in. put the sock on so sand does not get in.

Also great conversion piece, many people look at me weird.

Poseidon makes a flex-boot that is very similar to sneakers that are absolutely amazing dive boots with all the advantages you gain from sneakers and all the advantages of dive boots. I wear them and absolutely love them.

When I first started diving, tennis shoes were the norm rather than the exception (I learned in FLA 1973) so it's far from being unheard of. However, I prefer a decent pair of hard sole booties. Another option is beach shoes.

c

Is Cozumel tropical enough?

0ae20430.jpg

Did it in years past. Keds? I seem to recall the lace eyelets rusting out from the saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom