Snare stick on Palancar Gardens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munselln8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday, while diving Palancar Gardens I cam across a group of divers (about 6-8) and one of them was carrying a Long handled "neck-snare". Also called a "dog-stick" and occasionally a "turtle-snare" or "tickle-stick". This consists of a long, hollow stick about 3' long, with a cord (sometimes rubber or nylon) that runs through creating a noose at one end.
The only use I am aware of is catching turtles or (on land) dogs by the neck, but I have heard that they are used for lobster as well (though not sure how / why).
Anyone know a possible reason why this person would be carrying one of these in the Marine Park?

Yesterday, while diving Palancar Gardens I cam across a group of divers (about 6-8) and one of them was carrying a Long handled "neck-snare". Also called a "dog-stick" and occasionally a "turtle-snare" or "tickle-stick". This consists of a long, hollow stick about 3' long, with a cord (sometimes rubber or nylon) that runs through creating a noose at one end.
The only use I am aware of is catching turtles or (on land) dogs by the neck, but I have heard that they are used for lobster as well (though not sure how / why).
Anyone know a possible reason why this person would be carrying one of these in the Marine Park?
That is a really good question! Even if it was a hawaiian sling or something to spear Lionfish - that's not ok except for DM's

Well, I just looked up "Hawaiian Sling" as I had not heard of this device before. I believe this is what I saw, as pictures of said device (unloaded) look exactly like a "neck-snare". As for whether or not the person was a DM, I couldn't say. Sorry to freak anyone out :) and thanks for the input Christy!

From what you posted I agree what you saw was indeed a "Hawaiian Sling" and what you and I would see as as a "neck-snare" was the rubber/elastic band at one end that is stretched and used to fire the longer spear... Just another lion hunter with a different device that we aren't used to seeing in the Caribbean. Glad for the post though as I learned something new!

Pretty sure you saw one of these:
Lionfish Pole Spear with Paralyzer Tip
I carry one of these for killing Pez Leon. Small, fits in my normal dive bag, good quality, USA made with good CRS steel. They used to go on sale occasionally. Every diver should have one! Kill them all! They taste good too...
Edit: Wally World sells slings as well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spearfis...ar-Hawaiian-Sling-with-Lionfish-Tip/120249214
Kill them and eat them. Tell your friends and family to eat them. Tell the Chinese they are better than shark fin soup to achieve maximum performance.

Last edited:
Tell the Chinese they are better than shark fin soup to achieve maximum performance.

Um not a good idea. They will destroy the Lionfish in the Indo Pacific. Just like they destroy the Seahorse populations there.

Kill them and eat them. Tell your friends and family to eat them. Tell the Chinese they are better than shark fin soup to achieve maximum performance.

Tell the Chinese that only the Atlantic/Caribbean lionfish have those miraculous effects on, um, performance (and those taken from Indo-Pacific waters have the opposite effect, so be careful of your source...)

Tell the Chinese that only the Atlantic/Caribbean lionfish have those miraculous effects on, um, performance (and those taken from Indo-Pacific waters have the opposite effect, so be careful of your source...)

Nice try but...those "Atlantic" lion fishes are actually Indo Pacific lionfish. They are just lost.

On a more serious note, I just spent three weeks diving in the Coral Triangle. I've seen more Lionfishes in one dive in the Caribbean than three weeks in the Indo Pacific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom