snaps - tell me why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True....... until it's not. I got snagged in line (which is aplenty) in a quarry using one of those good for nothing snaps. Not a huge deal, I cut the line which was running ...someplace but had it been low viz or a new diver they could have had an issue. It's all good, till it aint.
True, however 99% of my diving is in the open ocean, reefs and kelp forests. If I ever get a snag (never had a sang on a clip) I'd just cut it move on. Now, if I dived regularly in a line invested place, I may have to rethink it or dive somewhere else. :wink:

No fishing line to speak of in those oceans :wink:

I think its worthwhile to just have a clip that can't catch on stuff.

No fishing line to speak of in those oceans :wink:

I think its worthwhile to just have a clip that can't catch on stuff.

doesn't that then too eliminates a double-ender????

I see, you are one of THOSE people, aren't you?
Those lucky people who live close to real divable water. :)

True, however 99% of my diving is in the open ocean, reefs and kelp forests. If I ever get a snag (never had a sang on a clip) I'd just cut it move on. Now, if I dived regularly in a line invested place, I may have to rethink it or dive somewhere else. :wink:

My double enders dont open like a carabiner, not sure what you're asking?

meaning the thumb stud can still snag things (seen it with netting)

yes, it can, but it wont open like a carabiner. If you have a streamlined gear configuration, the risk of getting caught by a boltsnap is slim.

Depends on what you use it on. I have double enders on my spools. But until they are needed they are in a pocket or clipped off so that the thumb stud is facing in towards me. They could still snag on something but less likely than if they are facing out. The bottom snap you noted is easy enough in some situations to open but I find them also a bit awkward and they don't give me the same feel as bolt snaps do when I clip to something and in the vis we have around here I'm not always able or willing to try and look at what I'm clipping onto. I just like the feel of a bolt snap onto a d ring. Personal choice. I've seen pics of a diver (or rather the body of one) from a dive on the Doria who got wrapped up in cables that they surmise snagged on a caribiner type clip. I have my key ring on one of those. And even on dry land there have been a couple times when it has gotten snagged on a line at work, caught on my belt loop and had a helluva time getting it loose, and just been a pain in the butt. But I still use it cause it's big enough that it makes losing my keys tougher. But would never take it or something like it under water. The locking ones yes. In certain situations.

we seem to have gotten carbiners into this discussion - not my question (post #1 excluded that)..... its bolt snap vs. boat snap...

Back
Top Bottom