snaps - tell me why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
why these:

bolt snap.jpg
vs. these (the bottom one):
boat snap.jpg

I understand the "non-trigger" one in the "middle" is a snag hazard, but the bottom one is easy to manage, especially with cold water (thick) gloves. Please explain. Thanks.

I'm subscribed to this thread with interest because I also have a hard time with the typically recommended bolt snaps when wearing 5 mm gloves. The trigger style snaps seem like a great option, but I haven't seen double enders like that...are they available?

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

not aware of double enders with that style gate mechanism, but I don't always need it in that (double ender) configuration...

Stainless always. Brass will become sharp where the gate movement rides in the snap and WILL cut you. (experience)
Also brass has a much more likelihood of corroding then not opening when you most need it to.

The above snaps (middle) with a gate can and will snag and trap line and other things. It's something that many (not all) will teach you. I've also learned it from personal experience that they have no place in scuba.

The bottom one to my mind anyway has more surface area to trap corrosion, dirt and the gate has a big lever which can be tripped open when you don't want it to. Basically, it's cumbersome in relative terms. I've never used that kind of snap so I can't speak about it from experience.

People use all sorts of snaps on their kit, and feel free to use whatever you like, but those are what I was taught and what I learned from personal experience.

What I was taught was to use stainless as much as possible for the corrosion factor (make sure you get the stainless spring in it too)

the other thing was to avoid snaps that you can clip in lines without having to manually open the gate.....things that can clip in on their own will!

Other then that, use what works for ya. I find the regular boltsnaps shown in the first picture are the easiest to use with bulky drygloves one

The cave folks love stainless bolt snaps and abhor brass and any kind of gate snap, and for good reason.
That being said, as a recreational diver, not penetrating any caves or wrecks, the brass gate snap has worked well for me.

why these:

View attachment 126268
vs. these (the bottom one):
View attachment 126269

I understand the "non-trigger" one in the "middle" is a snag hazard, but the bottom one is easy to manage, especially with cold water (thick) gloves. Please explain. Thanks.

I had one like the one on the bottom for a while, long time ago. Once it got a little bit corroded it was a PAIN to operate.

True....... until it's not. I got snagged in line (which is aplenty) in a quarry using one of those good for nothing snaps. Not a huge deal, I cut the line which was running ...someplace but had it been low viz or a new diver they could have had an issue. It's all good, till it aint.

The cave folks love stainless bolt snaps and abhor brass and any kind of gate snap, and for good reason.
That being said, as a recreational diver, not penetrating any caves or wrecks, the brass gate snap has worked well for me.

I prefer mountain climbing carabineers. It is similar to the gate snap but large enough that it is easy to remove anything it gets hooked on. You can also buy them with a locking gate so they will never get caught on anything.

I can see the point about the trigger being accidentally activated, and a piece of gear like a backup light dropping off to oblivion. But on something like an SPG that is attached by a hose and frequently needs to be removed and replaced on a D-ring, this could be the ticket. I think I am going to try it. But definitely in stainless. Here are some examples of what's available:

Home Depot
specifically mentions stainless steel spring

Grainger Industrial Supply
photo below

ss_trigger_snap-grainger.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom