Snakebite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[But if things go wrong, can I have your drysuit?

uhh, no. Dont want to create an incentive to "introduce" poisonous snakes where they might not yet reside :)

Show some spine man! Snakes!!!!! pfffffft!
If your, looking for a reason not to do the solo- fear is best reason not to dive the dive, if you have doubts, Don't!

One thing to consider is the length of the fangs of a cotton mouth are 9-10mm. Depending on your suit thickness and undergarments, they may not have the length to pierce your skin even if you do have to aqua-seal some holes :) Personally I don't worry too much about snakes, now snapping turtles is another matter, they tend to amputate appendages............

Ok I must ask....WERE AND THE HELL ARE YOU DIVING? :confused::confused:

I tend to keep out of water that has snake's in it. :eyebrow:

Snakes are cowards... Just make some noise while walking and they'll go away before you even notice they were in your way.

You really need to surprise a snake (or most animals, for that matter) in a tight corner and make it feel threatened for it to try attacking you- not before trying to alert you by hissing etc- it's always their final resort, as snakes are quite aware of the chances their fangs could be broken by biting a large animal, or the risk of being trodden upon by something heavy. Like most animals, snakes ain't stupid and are more concerned in their own survival rather than biting you just for the fun of it.

So snakes- just like sharks or any other animal- when they face a human they are usually the ones that get scared and run away. As a matter of fact, if you are concerned about meeting dangerous animals on your way to your solo dive, then you should really be aware of- and try to avoid as much as possible- meeting other humans, as they by far more dangerous than all other animals...

The mentioned above may not necessarily apply if you happen by chance to meet a very hungry >5m Python snake, rabid dogs or vicious man eating crocodiles :wink:

Snakes are cowards... Just make some noise while walking and they'll go away before you even notice they were in your way.

You really need to surprise a snake (or most animals, for that matter) in a tight corner and make it feel threatened for it to try attacking you- not before trying to alert you by hissing etc- it's always their final resort, as snakes are quite aware of the chances their fangs could be broken by biting a large animal, or the risk of being trodden upon by something heavy. Like most animals, snakes ain't stupid and are more concerned in their own survival rather than biting you just for the fun of it.

So snakes- just like sharks or any other animal- when they face a human they are usually the ones that get scared and run away. As a matter of fact, if you are concerned about meeting dangerous animals on your way to your solo dive, then you should really be aware of- and try to avoid as much as possible- meeting other humans, as they by far more dangerous than all other animals...

The mentioned above may not necessarily apply if you happen by chance to meet a very hungry >5m Python snake, rabid dogs or vicious man eating crocodiles :wink:

Yes, Steve Erwin bit the dirt for his lack of karma and recklessness, I reckon if you cruise past things on your own heading giving some space to other creatures, you can even brush past them if your not being aggressive or predacious, but I wouldn't try it on lions or great white sharks.

but I wouldn't try it on lions or great white sharks.

Been there done that :wink: . Not, really. I've traveled two years by foot from South Africa aaaalll the way to Egypt. After that lengthy experience, I am positively 100% sure that the most dangerous animal that we've met was other human beings (by FAR!!! especially crowded cities, or in remote areas where even kids wander around with AK47's and RPG's), followed by mosquitoes, microscopic creatures in the drinking water, wild bees & wasps and so on- lions, elephants, buffaloes, crocodiles, snakes and the such close the list, as they usually are intimidated when smelling, hearing/sensing or seeing humans- they usually go away.

Met a Great White Shark only once, but ignorance was a bliss: we (me and the bunch of friends that joined the dive) were too ignorant of what was actually circling us for a couple of minutes, so we just enjoyed the magnificent fish. Only after the dive we realized we've met a GWS...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom