smuggling beer to Sipadan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
are the beer prices high enough at the Sipadan area resorts to justify buying our tiger in Tawau and packing it over in our suitases?

Thanks!
Shiyaya

In my opinion, if Tiger is the only beer option, go with water. :wink:

ouch.

vladimir being american obviously knows nothing about beer anyway :wink: so wouldn't worry about that. i stayed with seaventures and the prices were fine...

vladimir being american obviously knows nothing about beer anyway
:rofl3: Isn't that Tiger's problem though? It takes like an American beer--almost as good as Bud.

:giggle: I always get a giggle at how inventive people can get to try to save a little money.

I think the total cost savings of smuggled beer would be tiny as a percentage of the whole price tag at a comfortable resort, unless of course one is making plans to drink enough every night to dive with a heavy-headed hangover the next day. And if going the budget route to stay at those bamboo shack places, keeping the stuff cold presents a problem as in-room fridges are not the norm.

I was on a liveaboard with 2 couples from Denver who brought 2 cases of wine with them. I thought, "Wow, that was a really nice gesture to bring wine for everybody." Well, they didn't. They probably averaged two dives a day each, maybe less, and one bottle of wine a day, each. Hey, to each his own. For me, beer or wine is the last thing on my list of priorities for a dive trip--I usually abstain for the whole trip.

I should have added we're just going by boat from Tawau to Mabul/Sipadan resort....no planes. We spend the day before the big S in Tawau (tomorrow actually)

FYI- in Tawau a can of Tiger runs RM 6.5 (just over $2 US) out here at Sipadan/Mabul smart dive, a can is RM 16 ($5 US) Glad I brought some and given a chance I'd bring more.

If you go to a 7/11 or convenience store you'll find expensive beer. Going to a local coffee shop (white walls, garden furniture, good food and usually one or two posters of a girl in skimpy Carlsberg or Guinness branded clothing) you can get the "Sepuluh Tiga" deal, which is Malay for 10-3, or RM10 for 3 cans.

The term is a bit dated, so they're now probably more like 12-3 - still a good deal if you're buying/drinking in bulk :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom