Diving Borneo/Sipadan vs Bali ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I've been planning a trip to Borneo to visit Sipadan, but I'm finding it strangely difficult to deal with the more budget friendly resorts. They can take 10-15 days to reply, dont answer the phone and arent upfront with their prices (one sent a pdf where on page 5 it says its 50% more expensive if youre not a couple). Then I learnt about ISIS pirates... and the local council website is very vague on how often they police the waters.

So all this weighed up, I'm wondering if its really the scuba trip of a lifetime or if I would be better off spending that resort + permit money on diving more frequently in Bali.

Thoughts? Comparisons? I'd like to hear. Thanks for your help y'all.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 55
I'm wondering if its really the scuba trip of a lifetime or if I would be better off spending that resort + permit money on diving more frequently in Bali.
Mmmh... wouldn't say the trip of a lifetime (or I have had at least 5 lives) but it's one of the few destinations in SEA where you would see schools of fish (jackfish, cudas, bumpheads) and reef sharks guaranteed plus the occasional hammerhead, manta or whichever big pelagic.
You can have a look here UW Sipadan & Mabul 2010

Bali pales in comparison to Sipadan for schools of fish however I've had about 20 trips to Bali : it'll be a lot better for small macro life, manta rays and mola mola in season.

Your trip of a lifetime would be Raja Ampat or PNG.

Sipadan is in a different league. Probably one of the top 10 dive locations in the world.

Having been to both I much prefer Bali, where the culture, topside,food and accommodation are way better than in Sipadan. Apart from a small number of excellent sites:in Sipadan, IMVHO, diving in Bali is more varied with a beautiful wreck, excellent macro and very high chances of seeing mantas, molas and sharks.

I've dived with SeaVentures twice and found them responsive and helpful. In my experience, they offer the best guarantee for trips to Sipidan. Of course with travel perhaps still light, that may not be an issue. I was last there about 4 years ago. We had armed guards on the rig every night. I think the issue with the Sulu Sultanate has largely gone away, but I could be wrong.

Having been to both I much prefer Bali, where the culture, topside,food and accommodation are way better than in Sipadan. Apart from a small number of excellent sites:in Sipadan, IMVHO, diving in Bali is more varied with a beautiful wreck, excellent macro and very high chances of seeing mantas, molas and sharks.
Excellent, thank you for your advice. Where did you dive that you liked the most in bali?
Also thank you @Luko for showing me raja ampat !

Sipadan isn't, but Borneo is THE trip of a lifetime. You should at least combine Sipadan (<1wk) with Maliau Basin or Tabin+Kinabatangan River+Sepilok (each <1wk). Add Mt Kinabalu Park if you have some more days, rounding out the Sabah loop at 3-4wks total. Do you have more time for diving wrecks in Brunei and other Sarawak places as well?

I also have nothing but praises for Seaventure Dive Rig in Sipadan.

OP, I have stayed and dives with Liberty Dive Resort in Tulamben, Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai and World Diving in Lembongan. If time is short you can do day trips from Padang Bai to the Nusa Islands to visit the manta cleaning station, but staying on the islands is really noce too. Gili Air with Manta Dive is also excellent.

Back
Top Bottom