SMOKING & TAX'S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why smoking will never be completely baned.

Counterfeit, contraband cigarettes targeted in bills
Wednesday, March 16, 2005
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) Counterfeit and contraband cigarettes are being targeted in bills that are moving through the Legislature.

The Senate Criminal Justice Committee unanimously approved a measure Tuesday that would require everyone involved in the manufacturing and sale of cigarettes to be licensed. The bill would make it easier for law enforcement to track cigarette sales and make sure they are legitimate products.

Senator Mike Haridopolos said the state is losing money in cigarette taxes, and organized crime and terrorist groups are profiting from sale of the illegal cigarettes

...lawmakers are trying to increase the cigarette tax from $0.41/pack to $1.41/pack.

I remember my dad telling me that he quit smoking when the price of cigarettes (including tax) went up from $0.25/pack to $0.35/pack.

Personally, I don't smoke, but our taxes are way too high already, and this is just one of several new taxes on the books.

I'd move back to Colorado, but I'm too far from the ocean as it is.

3dent:
I'd move back to Colorado, but I'm too far from the ocean as it is.

Colorado just passed a new tax on Cigarettes this past election. Currently the tax is 4.2 cents per cigarette!

I don't smoke either, so it doesn't affect me.

MtnDiver:
Colorado just passed a new tax on Cigarettes this past election. Currently the tax is 4.2 cents per cigarette!

I don't know how many are in a pack, but unless it's 34 or more, we still have you beat. :wink:

Never smoked but in Alaska, it .08 to .0925 per cigarette and some of the citys add more on top of that.

Dave

In NYC, with tax, the cost of cigarettes is usually over $7.25/pack.

Another twist here...the city tax collector's office is now sending letters to people who bought cigarettes online (to avoid the taxes) -- demanding payments of the taxes due, sometimes in the thousands of dollars. Technically, you do owe that if you buy them online, so they're trying to collect. Wild.

fsik:
In NYC, with tax, the cost of cigarettes is usually over $7.25/pack.

Another twist here...the city tax collector's office is now sending letters to people who bought cigarettes online (to avoid the taxes) -- demanding payments of the taxes due, sometimes in the thousands of dollars. Technically, you do owe that if you buy them online, so they're trying to collect. Wild.

Not sure on this but if you buy from out of state then there is no state tax ? or is this for everything except cigarettes

Just insure each cig against fire damage and start making your habit pay now.

I read something (might be an urban legend) where someone tried to collect on a cigar collection that was insured against fire damage (he had smoked them). The D.A. turned around and charged him with arson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom