Smith Mountain Lake - Underwater town - Fact or Fiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,
I was referred to this site by a Smith Mountain Lake resident who saw a news clip on WSET 13 News in regard to a submerged bridge. I found the old Hales Ford Bridge with a new type of SONAR I was trying out.

I have used the same technology recently in the vicinity of Vista Point and found what I believe to be bridge abutments or similar plus a lot of other "weird" looking structures.

I have other screen captures of the bridge and a few of Vista Point area. I would be happy to post or share GPS co ordinance and a few screen shots if you like.

BTW, I don't dive. I'm a fisherman.

Hi everyone,
I was referred to this site by a Smith Mountain Lake resident who saw a news clip on WSET 13 News in regard to a submerged bridge. I found the old Hales Ford Bridge with a new type of SONAR I was trying out.

I have used the same technology recently in the vicinity of Vista Point and found what I believe to be bridge abutments or similar plus a lot of other "weird" looking structures.

I have other screen captures of the bridge and a few of Vista Point area. I would be happy to post or share GPS co ordinance and a few screen shots if you like.

That sounds great.

You can post them here or send them to me donburke56@hotmail.com

Hi everyone,
I found the old Hales Ford Bridge with a new type of SONAR I was trying out.

It'd be neat to see this! I presume you were using a side-scan sonar setup?

I emailed the screen captures and links to Don, maybe he will post them? I can't list url's, etc until I've made 5 posts.
Yes, I was using Lowrance Structure Scan with side and down scan.

Here are a couple screen captures of the submerged Hales Ford bridge I found.
Down scan
shot20.png

Left side scan
shot4-1.png

Media Old Hales Ford Bridge Mystery Put to Rest|ABC 13

Underwater discovery - Smith Mountain Lake

These came from Vista Point area
shot15-2.png

shot16.png

shot8-2.png

This is so cool. Congratulations on the find! I think Lowrance better ramp up production beyond what their market analysis said.

I suspect this will become standard issue to police S&R teams and forensic divers.

If Mel Fisher had one of these!

Last edited:
Dead thread bump!

I'm headed to SML in May (13-16) and will be packing all of my gear. Any one done anything with this since the last post? Coords on that bridge scan? I don't have a boat ATM, working on that hopefully in the meantime.

Also, any one know of a filling station within range? My compressor setup is not yet mobile.

Back
Top Bottom