SMB's VS. Lift Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronbeau:
You might want to look into the DAN SMB. I own 3 of them (myself, Wife & Daughter). They are very well made and come with an overpressure relief valve. They have a wide reflective strip on one side and the DAN lettering on the other side is reflective.

They are not inexpensive however. If your LDS is a DAN reseller I would buy it from them instead of buying it from the DAN web site. You will save a decent amount over the full list price DAN charges on its web site.

The SMB is filled using your low pressure inflater hose or it can be orally inflated.

It does appear that either ScubaToys or LeirurePro carry DAN products.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/641-1000.html

Wow! In the past 2 months, the price on DAN's site has jumped from $54 to $86. Five minutes later it is showing as $75. <<shakes head>>

Bill.

CompuDude:
Phil, you referred to your lift bag as a "personal marker bag". Was that an accident, or on purpose?

Well, sort of on purpose. I was making the distinction between a marker bag and a lift bag. In the 50 pound bag, often the distinction doesn't make a difference. In sizes above the 50, the strength of the strap system starts to get really material.

I continue to believe that the bag I sell is primarily intended to be a personal marker bag. It will work well for lifting, but that is not its intended purpose.

Did I answer your question?

Phil Ellis

PhilEllis:
Well, sort of on purpose. I was making the distinction between a marker bag and a lift bag. In the 50 pound bag, often the distinction doesn't make a difference. In sizes above the 50, the strength of the strap system starts to get really material.

I continue to believe that the bag I sell is primarily intended to be a personal marker bag. It will work well for lifting, but that is not its intended purpose.

Did I answer your question?

Phil Ellis
Yes and no. I think I see the distinction you are making, but your website and every post you've made about them refers to them as "lift bags" ("XS Scuba Deluxe Technical Lift Bag" and "XS Scuba Semi-Closed Lift Bag"), not "personal marker bags", until this post. Thus the question. You gave an example of a "personal marker bag" and provided a link to a "lift bag". Seemed incongruous.

The reason I mentioned tech diving was to let people know that I would have the added weight of all the extra gear that isn't worn in normal recreational diving.

Lightning Fish:
Wow! In the past 2 months, the price on DAN's site has jumped from $54 to $86. Five minutes later it is showing as $75. <<shakes head>>

Bill.

I agree I bought the first two direct from DAN at $54.00 each. My wife's I bought front he LDS with our dive club discount and saved a significant amount over the "New" DAN price.

As of this morning (Saturday 3/17/2007) the DAN web site is showing the price as $86.25. That is one heck of a jump from $54.00 considering it is not made with precious metals.

CompuDude:
Yes and no. I think I see the distinction you are making, but your website and every post you've made about them refers to them as "lift bags" ("XS Scuba Deluxe Technical Lift Bag" and "XS Scuba Semi-Closed Lift Bag"), not "personal marker bags", until this post. Thus the question. You gave an example of a "personal marker bag" and provided a link to a "lift bag". Seemed incongruous.

Well, if you go back to the original post, you will see that the entire thing is about personal markers. While I feel perfectly comfortable that the bag I offer is fine for a lift bag, it does have many characterisitcs that are more like those of a personal marker bag. What I am simply doing here (strictly for the purposes of this post) is pointing out that a personal marker bag is not ALWAYS suitable as a lift bag. As I said earlier, in the 50 pound range, there is little difference. I am equally comfortable calling the bag made by XS a lift bag or a personal marker bag.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom