SMBs - still confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm all confused about SMB features. Open or closed, deployment method.

I'm trying to find one that when deployed I can waive over my head at a passing boat to get picked up. (I recently saw "Open Water"). I don't see any benefit to lift ability for me.

All I want is one that takes up no space when folded up, will absolutely work when I want it to, is easy to deploy, and cost very little.

Some must be kept partially under water or the air will leak out. Some must be inflated orally. Are both of these bad ideas?

I'm looking at the Dive Rite 44" See Me (fully enclosed), and the OMS 255E 62" with 50 lbs of lift (not enclosed). They both seem to be marketed to my purpose and of course both of those companies inspire confidence in quality.

Is there one that you would recommend for my purposes? Thanks much.

SteveFass:
I'm trying to find one that when deployed I can waive over my head at a passing boat to get picked up. (I recently saw "Open Water").

Oh boy, Hold on to your seat. You just did something very, very bad by just saying that movies name.

Akona makes one thats sounds about right for you, if you are just using it as a signal.

AKT102 Safety Sausage about 15 bucks

SteveFass:
I'm all confused about SMB features. Open or closed, deployment method.

I'm trying to find one that when deployed I can waive over my head at a passing boat to get picked up. (I recently saw "Open Water"). I don't see any benefit to lift ability for me.

All I want is one that takes up no space when folded up, will absolutely work when I want it to, is easy to deploy, and cost very little.

Some must be kept partially under water or the air will leak out. Some must be inflated orally. Are both of these bad ideas?

I'm looking at the Dive Rite 44" See Me (fully enclosed), and the OMS 255E 62" with 50 lbs of lift (not enclosed). They both seem to be marketed to my purpose and of course both of those companies inspire confidence in quality.

Is there one that you would recommend for my purposes? Thanks much.
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

How far from the photographer does the diver appear to be? Notice how the surface of the ocean is completely flat? If the seas were 3'-5', do you think you'd see the diver's head? How much of the SMB would you see over the tops of the swells?

Point is that if you've truly screwed the pooch and you're enjoying a lengthy drift on a windy day, you don't want no weenie Alert Marker. You want something that the boat can see from 100 yards off in the distance. And remember that lots of offshore charter boats don't have tuna towers on them. So...3'-5' seas are going to present a challenge.

Another thing is that while some guys like open bottom tubes, in order to hold them up inflated you need to gather the material at the bottom of the tube, or else hold the bottom of the tube down under the water, or...etc. etc. When you have other things on your mind, do you want to be screwing around trying to keep the tube inflated?

If you want a signal easily inflated on the surface, that you can wave around at aircraft, passing sailboats, and the occasional mate who might be paying attention, get a closed circuit SMB of the freakin' huge variety. This 6' one is a decent one. It will serve as well as most others when it really doesn't matter. And when it really does matter, (and we hope you never find yourself in that position,) it will serve better than most others.

FWIW. YMMV. Regards,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom