SMB Depth Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need enough line for the worst case scenario as far as current goes. I'd plan on 50% more than maximum planned depth at minimum, I used a Manta jr quick release reel that holds 250' of line (or maybe it was 160') I cant remember now. It's not much bigger than a spool and much more effective.

I used to regularly drift dive in SE Florida and would deploy an SMB at the end of every dive from depths of about 100'. Always orally inflated, a handful of breaths isn't an issue for a diver who doesn't suffer from emphysema. If you can't manage a half dozen deep breaths you probably shouldn't be diving in the first place.

I like to "cheat" when shooting my DSMB. I always carry a slung pony bottle because I am typically diving solo. Almost all of my diving is drift diving in SE Florida, so I have to shoot a DSMB quite a bit. I have a short BC hose on my pony, around 15-18", and use that to inflate the DSMB. I keep it tucked under the hose retainers on my pony and just pull it out when needed. I like to deploy from depth before my ascent, typically from 60-80'. A short burst of air from my pony and the DSMB is rock solid on the surface every time. I then re-tuck the inflation hose and begin my ascent.

Hello everyone, I have a decline fully closed(can only inflate orally) DSMB. I think this is good for deploying form shallow water before or during my safety stop with a spool. My question is, if I was going on a wreck dive with strong current where I would need to deploy my DSMB at say 30m so the boat can follow me, would the decline DSMB be hard to inflate and the spool might not have enough line. So I would probably have to get a reel and what type of DSMB do you recommend?
Good SMB. Has an over pressure valve and can be filled using a BCD/drysuit hose.

For wreck diving you normally send the SMB up from the wreck at the end of your dive. The boat then knows you're on your way up and you'll join the field of bags floating downstream of the wreck.

The reality is that you would ascend to the top of the wreck, especially in poor visibility, or to the downstream end of the wreck. Before the dive attach the SMB to either a spool or ratchet reel.

If ratchet reel (assuming right handed)...
  • Know where your line cutter is (underneath your computer / wherever). Just in case you need to quickly cut the line.
  • Firstly check the SMB+reel is still clipped to your waist D-ring/wherever you've clipped the thing -- i.e. Neptune hasn't stolen it from you. Touch the thing.
  • Disconnect your drysuit hose from your inflator (hold it in your right hand whilst you do the next few steps)
  • Grab the SMB+reel and separate them. The SMB should have a bungee holding it wound up.
  • Hold the ratchet reel in your left hand and ensure there's no slack line, e.g. wind it in.
  • Undo the SMB and shake it out.
  • Keep the reel in your left hand and hold the handle ensuring that the reel is free to rotate (that may mean hold down the ratchet mechanism, reel dependent).
  • Shake the SMB out and away from you,
  • Hold the SMB inflation spigot and put that into your left hand (so you're now holding both the reel handle and the inflator nipple/spigot firmly).
  • Check that there's no string/bungee/SMB/other crap that could entangle you.
  • With the drysuit hose disconnected in the second step, pull the ferrule back and GENTLY push it onto the inflation spiggot but DO NOT INFLATE YET.
  • Check again for entanglement; check that the reel is free to rotate; check that the SMB's not floating back into you
  • LOOK AROUND YOU; ESPECIALLY UP, sideways, downstream. You don't want to see more wreck above you or some other diver that you're going to launch the SMB into!
  • Press the drysuit hose firmly into the spigot/nipple to inflate the bag. Keep going until it's starting to drag on you up (actually keep inflating for as long as you can -- nobody will appreciate a flaccid SMB!)
  • Launch: release the spigot you're holding in your left hand and HOLD ON to the reel!
  • SMB should fly up, reel should rotate freely.
  • Danger point is when you let it go the string catches on the handle; you should be able to pull it off the handle.
  • It is possible that the reel could jam if it wasn't correctly reeled in or was tangled.
  • If there's any issues, e.g. the string or reel tangles/jams FFS LET THE BLOODY THING GO!!! The boat will pick up the dead SMB whilst you get your spare SMB out of your pocket...
  • As the SMB flies upward it will accellerate as it expands as the pressure reduces around it. It's worth braking the speed by BRIEFLY applying the rachet.
  • Once it hits the surface you'll feel it go slack. Immediately reel in that slack.
  • Ready to go... a quick goodbye look at the wreck and start your ascent, reeling in the slack.
  • Note that in a current the SMB will go up at an angle, so reeling in will pull you under the SMB like a pendulum, i.e. you reel but you don't ascend.
  • DO NOT let any slack line appear; this is a serious entanglement issue. Drop the reel if in doubt as the reel ratchet will stop it from unwinding and the line will tighten up.
  • Slow is better than the exact 9m/30ft per minute. Be in control.
  • When you get to 5m/15ft of your first stop, it should be slowed down.
  • At your stop, leave the reel to bounce up and down just below you. You should be in horizontal trim and totally neutral in the water watching the reel bouncing in the waves :cool:
Spools
  • Essentially the same as above except you'll be putting the spigot on to the spool's string, e.g. thumb and ring finger through the spool centre, forefinger to hold the SMB spigot on to the spool’s string
  • In some way a spool is easier than a reel, except if you drop the spool, in which case that's a serious PITA as it will probably drag along the bottom and catch.
  • Big difference is that you must tightly hold the spool at all times as it only wants to jump out of your hand.
  • Practice a twisty cave loop with your double ender.
If you need a SMB, then you need two of them; the backup SMB in your pocket which is where a spool's better as it's smaller than a reel. Many people I dive with have two man-sized reels and SMBs.

There's only one SMB size needed. Big. It's got to be seen by the boat from some way off in amongst the waves. Girth matters as much as length.

In the UK, self inflating SMBs are popular. These either use a small “crack bottle” of compressed air or one or two CO2 cartridges. These work very well and reduce the amount of hassle to inflate.

When you get to the boat wave your SMB to anyone on the side of the boat to grab from your hand. If they're miserable b'stards eating all the buscuits then ensure the reel's fully wound in and you keep it in your hand as you step onto the dive lift (all UK dive boats have them :wink: )

Have fun.

Why would you try to slow (or break) the ascending smb? What benefit does that provide. Seems like it might increase the chance of fouling the reel as the line is screaming out?

Also, if you are deep on a wreck, why would you put as much air as possible into the smb before release? I try to put the minimum amount of air in the smb, just enough to have it about full when it gets to the surface. It seems far less dangerous to have a slightly filled smb on the bottom (should it get fouled or tangled) versus one that has been filled "as much as possible".

It is Just all too much, disconnecting drysuit-inflator hoses, or taking my reg out of my mouth six times

To be sure if I were starting my DSMB career again where I needed to do serious deployment evey dive
Running an extra inflator hose, along the inflator hose is best, until, I became happy enough to let it go

and if it doesn't have one install one, simple internal automatic

instead of one of these pushing things, with the teeth, and lips

Why would you try to slow (or break) the ascending smb? What benefit does that provide. Seems like it might increase the chance of fouling the reel as the line is screaming out?

Also, if you are deep on a wreck, why would you put as much air as possible into the smb before release? I try to put the minimum amount of air in the smb, just enough to have it about full when it gets to the surface. It seems far less dangerous to have a slightly filled smb on the bottom (should it get fouled or tangled) versus one that has been filled "as much as possible".
Because the ones I see in Florida are tiny compared to the ones used in U.K. waters. 1Lt air is still 1kg of lift in both locations.

You can shoot that bag from any depth as it has a relief valve. The deeper you are, the less air you need to put in it due to the expansion of the air as it ascends. But you do need to make sure you have enough line! Much below 20-25 meters you will want a reel, not a spool. You need to account for the current as the bag will not go straight up but rather it will ascend at an angle. You probably want at least 50% more line than your depth, but that is a guess. Others may have a more precise calculation.
I have several spools with 55+ m of line. I have never been in a situation where I need a reel (100+ m of line) to shoot a DSMB.

Because the ones I see in Florida are tiny compared to the ones used in U.K. waters. 1Lt air is still 1kg of lift in both locations.
I appreciate your apparent attempt to answer my questions.

I guess I am too dense to understand how your response (above) pertains to my questions.

Back
Top Bottom