SMB Deployment: Reel or Spool

Do you use a reel or a spool?

• Reel

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Spool

Votes: 50 73.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I have a spool and a reel. The Dive Rite reel has a little red ball. I like the locking mechanism of a reel better in a current, but I like the ease-of-use of the spool.
The little red "ball" is actually a spare handle, and it is usually too large to fit through a small D-Ring.

Mark Vlahos

Why is using a loop connection to the SMB better than using a snap bolt? No, the red ball doesn't fit through the ring of the bag. And the handle is quite big enough without having another. :wink:

BarryNL:
Halcyon cold water spool - there's something I wont bother buying a second one of. Nice try but it's no better than the standard spool - the handle thing just doesn't work.
I like the handle...

El Orans:
I like the handle...
Really? I tried it a few times and then decided just turning the thing with my hand was easier.

BarryNL:
Really? I tried it a few times and then decided just turning the thing with my hand was easier.
Just attach a boltsnap to it, use it as a handle and rewind the line.

Call me odd, but I don't tie my lift bag to either a reel or spool. I tie it to whatever it is that I'm trying to lift, frequently things like anchors or boat parts.

El Orans:
Just attach a boltsnap to it, use it as a handle and rewind the line.
Yeah, I get the idea - I just don't really find it works very well in practice.

And here's a snoopy loop...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom